Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: .308 time, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Me, kind of. I was looking for something that would be semi-auto, >= .30 caliber, and legal up and down the East coast, that I could use to hunt with, and also be able to slap a full size mag for the rest of the time. However, I recently heard that semi-autos are illegal for hunting in PA... So there goes that. And if it wasn't for the NY SAFE Act, I'd be all over a AR-10 What's a dude to do?
    *not* hunt in NY
    #RESIST

I know it sounds hard to believe, but there are ways to run a bolt action rifle that give an effective rate of fire (rounds on tager/unit time) that is equal to or greater than a semi auto when the distance is more than 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I know it sounds hard to believe, but there are ways to run a bolt action rifle that give an effective rate of fire (rounds on tager/unit time) that is equal to or greater than a semi auto when the distance is more than 100 yards.
    While it's a cool comparo, I wouldn't take that same conclusion you did.

It's a 4 MOA battle rifle, probably firing full power ammunition, handicapped by only loading 1/4 of the rounds possible, with combat sights, being fired by a soldier versus a multi-thousand dollar match rifle, purpose built and setup to be fired in the prone position and most likely weighing twice as much as the G3, probably firing tailored ammunition, by a shooter with all sorts of equipment that weren't available to the soldier.

So.....

no.

A more apt comparison would be a JP Enterprises 308 match rifle vs that thing. Or a Lee-Enfield vs the G3.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-09-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    So, of the precision AR-10s out there, who is still worth it? I had been lusting after an OBR, but I guess that's no longer the case.

With Hornady OTM my MR762 with 3x ACOG shoots 5 round groups under 1.5" @ 200Y, and has been 100% reliable for over 1000 rounds. Only cleaned and lubed once before the first range session.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    With Hornady OTM my MR762 with 3x ACOG shoots 5 round groups under 1.5" @ 200Y, and has been 100% reliable for over 1000 rounds. Only cleaned and lubed once before the first range session.
    Ugh, are you suggesting I become one of those... "HK"... "people"?

HecK no.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

SCAR 17 was my go to heavy carbine before I switched to this, PWS MK216, CMC 2 stage, Kahles K16i, Alamo Tactical DLOC, Thunderbeast CB7,
    tuned by Citizen Arms, shoots 1/2 moa with factory match ammo like black hills, federal SMK and Hornady.

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    ... my go to heavy carbine ...

Heavy carbine???

Guess I've been out of the game longer than I thought…

CC, can you please outline the factors leading to your decision to go with a piston AR over a Scar? I'm about to get one or the other, your input would be appreciated.

User Tag List