Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 time, suggestions?

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    A Tanker with a forward mounted T-1 would solve most problems AND it's a very classy way to deliver the hate.

Name:  tanker.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  71.3 KB

How about a 18 - 20 inch heavy barreled bolt action in a quality fiberglass stock?

Howa 1500 barelled action in a Manners MCS-T4A with DBM mini chassis. Add AICS mags and the scope/base/ring setup of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    How about a 18 - 20 inch heavy barreled bolt action in a quality fiberglass stock?

Howa 1500 barelled action in a Manners MCS-T4A with DBM mini chassis. Add AICS mags and the scope/base/ring setup of choice.
    If bolt action is a consideration then I would throw in one of the Mossberg MVP Patrol rifles in 308. Short, medium weight barrel for ease of handling, flash hider, and magazine fed from the standardized SR25/DPMS 308 AR mags.

I have the 5.56 version in the Predator MVP and am pretty happy with it. Accuracy is easily 1 MOA and I have many 5-shot groups that are near 1/2, and the AR mag feature works well. The only issue is the plastic trigger guard as I got a little enthusiastic torquing mine down and it is starting to crack. Good basic rifles for under $600.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I have a 6.5 Grendel built on the detachable magazine, small 7.62x39 CZ action that is lightweight, accurate and a fantastic shooter. It wears a 2.5-8 Leupold with a custom reticle, with the crosshairs at 200, and holdover dots for 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards. Could certainly get someone's attention at 500 yards, in a PC, trim form factor bolt.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a 6.5 Grendel built on the detachable magazine, small 7.62x39 CZ action that is lightweight, accurate and a fantastic shooter. It wears a 2.5-8 Leupold with a custom reticle, with the crosshairs at 200, and holdover dots for 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards. Could certainly get someone's attention at 500 yards, in a PC, trim form factor bolt.
    The 6.5 Grendel/LBC is a solid cartridge. Someday...
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Daddy like

Still waiting on the Tanker Garand.

Did make the mistake of wandering by the black rifle rack at the gunstore while I was buying my boy a M&P9.
    Whaddaya know... Colt 901 sitting there taunting me.
    I made a down payment and it'll be coming home with me next week.

That was a somewhat expensive trip to the gunstore ($1000 for the M&P9 Pro CORE with Leupold Deltapoint) turned into a damn expensive trip to the gunstore (another $2200 for the Colt 901).
    Did I mention he also ordered me a Beretta 1301 Tactical ($1000)?
    And I still gotta buy a stash of .308 ammo and I'm looking hard at an ACOG...

This is gonna cost me big time when the wife finds out the total and goes on a shopping spree of her own.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

FWIW, Troy now makes a complete 308. They weigh more than the S&W but this is due to a continuous .75 barrel contour and the use of billett uppers and lowers. They only sell blinged out guns but the cost comparison to a similar M&P is very close. Their non-match gun weighs 8.6 lbs.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    Any reason that M1A has not been added to the list?
    The Scout Squad by springfield is 18," has a scout mount--perfect for a red dot.
    There is just something very American/nostalgic about patrolling your land with an M1A as opposed to any other rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    If 2-3 moa is all you need and a red dot is the intended optic, an 18" M14 is kind of a nice solution.
    I built a lot of m14s at one time. I got out of those because mounting anything else is a pain and I don't go for red dots on 308s.
    But if you want a red dot, a scout is a cool gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I agree. I have a 1999 vintage M1A scout with an Aimpoint comp M it's nice but misanthrope is spot on regarding it's limitations. Even using the aimpoint low ring you need a cheek pad. It was my California, Peoples Democratic Republic of rifle when I was behind the granola curtain but there are better options in free America. If I find a nice .308 Garand to take over nostalgia duty it might go away.
    Going back to the M1A Scout Squad, are there any other Pros/Cons to them? I'm interested in one, but don't know anything about the M1A series rifles.

User Tag List