Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chelada my new alcoholic vice

Chelada my new alcoholic vice

Straight outa Mexico, it's the Chelada!
    Ai yi yi, esta muy bueno!
    It's basically beer mixed with spicy hot V8 and lime.
    I keep a few cans floating in rock salted ice water so it's almost turning to slush.
    Awesome summer cool down refreshment after a long hot day at the range or lawn mowing.
    Is this a southwest thing or nation wide?

Yup... it's a 24oz. can of goodness.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Interesting. Will look for and report back manana.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Sounds like a good morning beer.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The Budweiser Picante Chelada is pretty good as well but the Modelo is crisper.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Also an answer to a question on Jeopardy the evening of June 30.

There used to be a towny bar in the city where I went to University. The guys there, who weren't much impressed
    with students, used to drink tomato juice and beer. (It was the kind of bar where the standard bottle of beer was a quart.)
    I tried it a couple of times but wasn't a fan.

Had never heard of the Mexican version till tonight.

You need you give Ricard pastis a try. That stuff is awesome on a hot day.

A friend turned me on to this 20+ years ago, over in Yakima, Wa. Mixed Dos Equis with Spicy Tom and lime. Great drink!! Especially when hot. May have to mix some up this weekend
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

I think it's a Southwestern thing. At least, I never heard of it when I lived in WV. Here in Phoenix, it's literally everywhere. I tried it at a neighbor's cookout once, didn't care much for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Is this a southwest thing or nation wide?
    The Budweiser Clydesdale-pee-and-tomnato-juice thing is nationwide.
    Didn't realize it wasn't something the St Louis marketeers cooked up.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

If you're looking for great refreshment from a hot day's activities, nothing I've found yet beats a shandy. Basically a 50/50 mix of beer and Sprite or 7Up.

To me, its best with Sprite and mexican beer… Dos Equis amber, to be precise. Pour the beer first, avoiding a head, then gently add the Sprite.

Of course, the colder the better. I can't stand warm beer, and the original UK shandy (warm beer/cold 7Up) is my refuge when drinking with my brother-in-law on his home turf in Scotland. My wife helped me "refine" the mixture after my first trip over there. Sprite is definitely the better additive.

Its also a good companion drink for mexican food. We build ourselves one each when dining at Ninfa's, etc. The local college-kid waiters are generally intrigued with the mix the first time they see it; but we got some really odd looks at a real-time mexican joint in New Mexico some years back.

User Tag List