Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Having an aluminum frame replicated as a steel frame

I read that wrong.

We finally got rid of the last 5906's and 5946's, they were good guns but had too many parts compared to a Glock or Sig and could be a PITA to armor. It really became an issue if the "armorer" wrenching on the gun was at the range because he a good ol' boy, and not because he gave a flip about guns or shooting. A couple knuckle heads damaged ejectors, sear releases and firing pin safeties trying to pound the slide back on.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I read that wrong.

We finally got rid of the last 5906's and 5946's, they were good guns but had too many parts compared to a Glock or Sig and could be a PITA to armor. It really became an issue if the "armorer" wrenching on the gun was at the range because he a good ol' boy, and not because he gave a flip about guns or shooting. A couple knuckle heads damaged ejectors, sear releases and firing pin safeties trying to pound the slide back on.
    Sig?

The 3rd gen S&Ws are, IMHO, easier to work on than the Sigs, or almost any of the other TDA guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Sig?

The 3rd gen S&Ws are, IMHO, easier to work on than the Sigs...
    And right there, my man, is where we disagree strongly. For the first five years of our semi-auto program, the P226 and 5906 were the only authorized duty pistols, so I worked with (and on) them side by side.

I found the Sigs MUCH easier to work on, and not just because of the relative parts count (55 for the P226, 80+ on the 5906… and add ten more for an adjustable-sighted 5906).

If you were going to make only one frame,NOT 3d printed, it would cost you in the neighborhood of $12-$15000 for 1, and exponentially less per unit beyond that.

CW
    EliteWarriorArmament.com

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    There you have it. In order to save money, get like a hundred of them. They'll practically pay for themselves. If you're struggling with the math on that, here's the basics laid out in a formal sequence you can literally take to the bank (in case you're after a startup loan):

Step one: have obscure one-off frame for obsolete gun manufactured at tremendous expense but with decreasing unit costs
    Step two: ?????
    Step three: profit
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Sig?

The 3rd gen S&Ws are, IMHO, easier to work on than the Sigs, or almost any of the other TDA guns.
    Once I replaced the flimsy 1/2 ton arbor press with a 10 ton hydraulic H press (overkill but it was donated), removing the solid FPPP's on the Sigs was pretty easy, and working on the slides went from major headache to inconvenient. Between the Solid FPPP on the Sig, and the ejector depressor and the firing pin safety under the rear sight on the 5906, they both had their aggravations. IMO in terms of small parts count and simplicity the Sig wins.

Quote Originally Posted by CWarner View Post
    If you were going to make only one frame,NOT 3d printed, it would cost you in the neighborhood of $12-$15000 for 1, and exponentially less per unit beyond that.

CW
    $12K?

Are you including tooling and fixturing in that?

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Once I replaced the flimsy 1/2 ton arbor press with a 10 ton hydraulic H press (overkill but it was donated), removing the solid FPPP's on the Sigs was pretty easy, and working on the slides went from major headache to inconvenient. Between the Solid FPPP on the Sig, and the ejector depressor and the firing pin safety under the rear sight on the 5906, they both had their aggravations. IMO in terms of small parts count and simplicity the Sig wins.
    That's not been my experience.

I'll add that I've never needed anything more than a pin punch, plastic mallet and a paperclip to detail a S&W out.

User Tag List