Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best $50 I have spent in a long time

Best $50 I have spent in a long time

I have no interest in selling these but I bought a nine month subscription (print and digital) to the Wall Street Journal off of eBay. I no longer feel dumber for having read the news. The iPad version of the WSJ is fantastic.

I strongly recommend this; it's a very cheap way to enjoy reading the news and actually learn something. Beats Fox/NBC/CNN/etc.
    #RESIST

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    It really is the only mainstream news journal I will spend any time on. We used to take the Economist but I frankly got tired of its pretentiousness and never ending euro bias against our 2nd Amendment.

I have been an on-line subscriber since it was first offered as an option. Subsequently I discontinued the paper version, and is my primary source of business news.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I like to balance my news sources. I read WSJ, Christian Science Monitor, New York Times, and Washington Post for national news. Two are more right/center leaning in their editorial staff and two are left-leaning in their editorial staff. My strong motto is, "When you see two extremes of an issue, somewhere in the middle the truth lies." So, I like to know the bias balance of where my news comes from. For international I balance BBC with Al Jazeera (remember to use "International" as your browser source instead of "U.S." or you'll get really US-biased news reports).

I agree the WSJ is an excellent paper, if you haven't read the CSM I'd highly recommend it, still some of the best journalism out there.

Shockingly enough, I got my news acquisition skills from an old Government professor, who was as left-leaning populist as it comes, but taught hard that you should know the bias of the news sources you read and keep it at the forefront of your mind, because above all politics is about, "Who gets what." And the most important aspect is they are out to get something from you...

-Rob

If you only have time for one paper, the journal is the best choice as far as I know. If you don't have time for a paper, hire some help.
    Ignore Alien Orders

The online WSJ is one of the best things available. Excellent reports and interesting opinion pages. It has replaced my paper version this year.

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver

I find Al Jazeera, BBC World and the international edition of CNN to provide the most balanced info I've been able to find. Although AJ over here is considerably different than what I've been exposed to in Europe.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

If you like reading the WSJ I highly recommend subscribing to The 10-Point. It's a very well done summary of the days top stories on WSJ.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I've been enjoying my daily email newsletters from ForeignPolicy.com.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by linkscoach View Post
    If you like reading the WSJ I highly recommend subscribing to The 10-Point. It's a very well done summary of the days top stories on WSJ.
    -- If you permit them, the Journal sends out a daily email summary of the whole paper and separately various sections. I get the gross summary and the opinion and tech summaries. They can be scanned in a few seconds.

User Tag List