Thread: First NRA Action Pistol match

First NRA Action Pistol match

Reading about the Bianchi Cup on gunnuts got me interested in NRA AP matches. One of our local clubs has a monthly AP match so I decided to try it out to see how I liked it. I decided to shoot my new WC Beretta 92A1. I had every intention of going to the range this week and figuring out where it was hitting and where I need to aim at the various distances, unfortunately work got in the way of that so it didn't happen. I had fun, but didn't do as well as I know I cans. I ended up shooting a 1466/54x.

I did notice a couple of things. First, I don't like the 3 dot sights that come stock. FO front sight with plain black rear are in my future. Second, going from a USPSA mindset where speed can make up for a C hit doesn't work in AP. I ended up having ALOT of time left over on some strings and lower value hits because I rushed myself. I need to work on time management.

Overall, I like the mover stage the best. Not something I get to do very often. Definitely shoot AP again, but it won't be replacing USPSA as my primary gun game.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Fun isn't it? If you can do descently in NRA Action Pistol it will push your accuracy even higher during USPSA matches.

I have noticed that most people who shoot USPSA a lot do the best on the Mover.

How did you do on the Plates?

The plates were my worst stage.

Plates 320
    Barricade 403
    Mover 398
    Practical 345

I absolutely blew the 50 yd strings on the practical. Did well on the practical at 10/15, and then so-so on the 25. Had no idea where to hold on the 50.

On the mover, I was shooting a bit high and only had 1 miss altogether.

Using the allotted time and practicing more distance shooting is on my training agenda. I can replicate all the courses with the exception of the mover. Won't be able to go again for a few months, but I hope to do better when I can go.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

If it makes you feel better, my first year shooting the Cup was my first NRA AP match, and I shot a 1490-something, IIRC. My best was the Mover, my worst was the Barricade.

The plates are one of those things where it's basically either hero or loser.

User Tag List