Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My idea of a pistol caliber carbine/what would Caleb think?

My idea of a pistol caliber carbine/what would Caleb think?

I meant Caleb not Calib, but I cannot figure out how to change it.

I am getting old, my memory lapses. Every time I think I want a (centerfire) pistol caliber carbine as an understudy for my M4 carbines it is because I have momentarily forgotten about my M&P 15-22. I think the M&P 15-22 is as close as you can come to a M4 in a pistol caliber (OK 22lr is a rifle caliber too.). Why would I want a pistol caliber carbine? To train inexpensively and to safely pound steel plates at 10 to 25 yards. With a can and no ear protection, it sounds like you are hitting those steel plates with a ball peene hammer. Now that is about as much fun as you can have fully dressed with a 22lr firearm. Oh, did I say I stocked up on 22lr amo before the rush?
    Last edited by Little Creek; 06-27-2014 at 02:11 PM.

I've got an AR in 9mm and a 15-22. I find that the 22 doesn't always take steel, the 9mmm does. A local IPDA club lets me shoot the 9mm AR as a second gun and I find it very useful. If you use your rifle for self-defense in the continental U.S. environment, it will look a lot more like and IDPA match than Camp Perry.

I actually really like the MP15-22 as a self-defense platform for shooters who can't operate a .223 for whatever reason. It's relatively reliable, it's very easy to shoot well, and 7 rounds of .22 LR in the chest is going to ruin someone's day. Would it be my first choice? Nope, nor my 2nd. But I wouldn't scoff at it either.

I have both a SBR/Suppressed 15-22 & a 9mm (SBR & Suppressor in paperwork limbo) AR. Neither are anything more than toys and inexpensive ways to shoot the AR, or indoors where rifle calibers are not allowed. Certainly neither would be my "go to" choice for use in a self-defense situation, but if it is all I had, that wouldn't stop me from pulling the trigger and seeing what happens. Pretty unlikely for a self-defense situation to look like Camp Perry to be sure. But it won't look a whole lot like IDPA either............

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I have both a SBR/Suppressed 15-22 & a 9mm (SBR & Suppressor in paperwork limbo) AR. Neither are anything more than toys and inexpensive ways to shoot the AR, or indoors where rifle calibers are not allowed. Certainly neither would be my "go to" choice for use in a self-defense situation, but if it is all I had, that wouldn't stop me from pulling the trigger and seeing what happens. Pretty unlikely for a self-defense situation to look like Camp Perry to be sure. But it won't look a whole lot like IDPA either............
    What are you talking about, just the other day I was getting gas while carrying a Glock 34 with only 10 rounds in the magazine and two spare magazines concealed under a vest. I was jumped by a gang of 9 thugs, the first three I engaged from cover around the gas pump, then I moved up to the next position of cover (an old shot up car that was just sitting there for some reason) and engaged the next two guys, but I made sure to shoot one of them 3 times so I could reload from slidelock. After reloading, I run to door of the convenience store and shot the last four guys with headshots from a distance of five yards, since they were all wearing body armor. After I finished, I made sure to unload and show clear, and checked my time on the ShotMaxx timer I always wear in case an IDPA stage breaks out.

A tool is a tool is a tool.
    I might not be able to perfectly seat a screw with a 5 lb sledge, but if my life depends on it, you can bet your kitten that I'm going to try my damnedest to get that kitten to stick.

The ability to project will from distance is a great force multiplier, even if it doesn't achieve 100% of your goal immediately. The key factor is to make sure it is empty by the time his hands can touch you.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I have no good reason to want a subgun or PCC (I'm unclear on whether there is a difference or whether PCC is just what we say now that Kalash is a cool word).

And yet I constantly struggle with the desire to build both 9 and 10mm ARs with 9 or 10 inch barrels.

I think this is rooted in this weird obsession I have with maximizing powder burn. I know my 12.5 AR offers more hate to insert into jerks than any pistol caliber version would, but it just drives me crazy that there's all this powder flying around flashing and banging instead of making more velocity.

So yeah, I always kind of want a shorty AR that burns all its powder before the bullet is in the target.

9mm would be fun, and cheap.

10mm would (I assume) get me laid. Sadly it would get me laid by lonely basement-dwelling dudes, which is not really what I'm after...but you know, I'll take what I can get.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Full power 10 mm SMG's rock.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    You all saw that! I have legitimate ballistic grounds to build a 10mm AR now.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    You all saw that! I have legitimate ballistic grounds to build a 10mm AR now.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html

User Tag List