Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Having played it from the time I could run till my mid twenties, I concur: it is a stupid game.
    It is only the most popular sport in the world, as is in first, second and third world countries alike.

In regards to the Cup itself, it's been pretty entertaining. I don't remember so many late goals from previous championships. No team that shouldn't have advanced did advance. Stars have fallen and old world teams sent home en masse. Pretty awesome.
    There are two kinds of countries. Those that love soccer, and the one that has put men on the moon.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I've met tons of LSU fans... Only one LSU grad... Strange how that works...
    It's an SEC thing, you wouldn't understand.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

You're not hanging out in the right jails.
    Ignore Alien Orders

The fan:grad ratio is far more lopsided for another SEC West team (Bama). It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    There are two kinds of countries. Those that love soccer, and the one that has put men on the moon.
    At least the game offers some health, recreational and entertainment benefits, besides the bragging rights. Moon landing, bragging rights alone.

World Cup

Tournament names like the World Series are equally annoying to that of the Man U jersey-wearing feetball tard mouthing his ode to the pitch. Plus, I really enjoy the thought of possibly beating all the other countries at THEIR most popular sport. "Where you at UK? Oh you didn't make the cut? Here, you can have all my frowny faces."
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter
    While probably true during the time period when we had the capability of putting a man on the moon, the US pretty clearly loves soccer now. Networks are now reporting more viewers for US games than average NBA finals, World Series, or Stanley Cup games. I don't think it's a perfect comparison, since very few people watch MLS games, but a lot more Americans are watching this World Cup than have in the past.

I like sportsball - Since we moved out of our apartment and canceled cable, I miss the "news" (Sportscenter). That said I don't care much about World Cup. Mostly because any sport where a "Draw" is an acceptable outcome, is for chumps. Win or go home.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    You've obviously never met an LSU (college football) fan. Every time I hear one of those zealots proclaim "I bleed purple and gold!!!", my presentation reflex twitches….
    Nebraska Husker fans were the same way. Pretty sad that they had absolutely nothing else to hang their hat on.

I think that the rabid fans are what turn me off the most about any of the sports. Otherwise, I am merely ambivalent.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Given the reception the World Cup is getting in the states, I have to ask...when did Canada put men on the moon?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List