Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup

This has been an entertaining World Cup IMO.

I find these arguments:

1.) it's popular in the rest of the world so we should like it as well
    2a.) it sucks because everyone else in the world likes it
    2b.) everyone else likes it because all you need is a ball to play it

to be equally uncompelling personally. If you like it, fine; if not, fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I still say its boring and lots of little boys acting like they are hurt.
    The US team generally does not engage in such nonsense, which makes me proud.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    The US team generally does not engage in such nonsense, which makes me proud.
    So much so that they are often criticized by European and South American announcers for failing to go down when they actually are fouled.

I'm a huge soccer fan, but I don't really feel the need to convert anybody. Also, like the Olympics, there is something special about rooting for your country rather than just a professional club team.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    It's "futbol", Caleb. Get it right.
    Oh god I will cut you so bad.

Honestly, I don't really have a problem with the game itself, other than I find it tedious to watch. It really is the people, and it's because most of the soccer "fans" I know are also the sort of people who embrace anything European out of some sort of progressive reflex against their perception of redneck America.

I just hope those people never discover F1, because then I'll have to stop watching that.

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I still say its boring and lots of little boys acting like they are hurt.
    Yeah but they are better actors than many in Hollywood.

Anyways my opinion:

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The problem I have with soccer isn't so much the game itself, although I do find it dull; rather it's that I've yet to meet an American soccer fan that wasn't a huge tool about their fandom.
    This. It's the same reason I keep my ownership of a Glock and an iPad on the down-low, lest people think I'm one of those people.
    Last edited by Tamara; 06-26-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

It really is the people, and it's because most of the soccer "fans" I know are also the sort of people who embrace anything European out of some sort of progressive reflex against their perception of redneck America.
    Seriously though, everything European is pretty sophisticated and great. I especially enjoy their pogroms and cheeses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    This. It's the same reason I keep my ownership of a Glock and an iPad on the down-low, let people think I'm one of those people.
    Same reason I'm very careful with whom I share my love of F1, because the last thing I want is someone to explain to me again, at length, why F1 is just SOOOOOOOO SUPERIOR to NASCAR.

The problem I have with soccer isn't so much the game itself, although I do find it dull; rather it's that I've yet to meet an American soccer fan that wasn't a huge tool about their fandom.
    You've obviously never met an LSU (college football) fan. Every time I hear one of those zealots proclaim "I bleed purple and gold!!!", my presentation reflex twitches…

User Tag List