Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest a pair of handguns

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don't think that the EMP uses the same mags as a full sized 1911?
    AFAIK, it does not. My understanding is that it is a 1911 scaled down to the 9mm cartridge.....a miniature 1911, if you will. I did not read in the OP that magazine compatibility was one of the criteria. His description of himself as "a small guy" led me towards the recommendation of single stack and short trigger reach weapons.

Some of the pistols being suggested do not meet the minimum barrel length requirement of 4.73".

Naz - with your restrictions, I'd go for a G19 for "small" (because when you're in SA and you NEED a gun, you're going to want as MUCH of a gun as you can reasonably conceal!), and a G34 for training back home. There are those who will argue that the G26 is a better "small" gun, but, in my experience, the modest gains in concealability rarely outweigh the loss in capacity and shootability (compared to the G19). I prefer all Glocks in the Gen4 flavor. Unfortunately for you, the barrel length minimums in Australia run out most non-1911 sized guns.

Regards,

Kevin

I think canuckistan has a cottage industry of longer barrels due to similar laws, does oz have a similar long barrel infrastructure?

When all is said and done, you can either A) hit all the forums and research every option/combo or B) get the 34/19 glock combo.

If you really want to agonize, I suppose a 5" M&P pro and a shield is a decent alternate solution.

Given barrel length on one continent vs carry vs compatibility vs effectiveness vs support on another, you are probably going to be best served by the early suggestion of the G34/19. Whether you take the scenic route to the decision or just get there quickly is dependent upon how much fun surfing the web is for you.

I'll try the different tact. Two full size guns that are identical. Reasonably, if you can't have the compact gun in Australia where you live and will presumably get the opportunity to practice more often, then it makes sense to have the same, identical, gun so all of your reps (live and dry) are for the same weapon. It also simplifies your holster/magazine life.

Two Glock 34s, Beretta 92s, etc. If it were me? I'd probably take two Beretta 92s, but that is largely a personal preference for traditional double action, all metal guns. That and the Glock frame size causes my carpal tunnel to flare up whenever I pick one up.

-Rob

I would suggest a G17A for Oz. It's production legal and competitive. For over here I would suggest aG19 or 26. Because logistics.

EMP isn't available here.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I would suggest a G17A for Oz. It's production legal and competitive. For over here I would suggest aG19 or 26. Because logistics.

EMP isn't available here.
    For those of us in 'murica, what is the 17A ? I'm not familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For those of us in 'murica, what is the 17A ? I'm not familiar with it.

Its a G17 with a barrel just long enough to be legal in the land of the prisoners of mother England

The other option is a CZ SP01 Shadow Aussie edition for there. And a P07 here.

User Tag List