Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger jerking is there a cure ?

Trigger jerking is there a cure ?

Gentlemen,

What is the quickest most permanent cure for trigger jerking ? Can it be cured ?

Dry fire, lots of.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    I don't know for sure about quickest & most permanent, but I'd suggest some combination of:

1. Dry fire, with a spent case balanced on the front sight.
    2. Ball & Dummy
    3. Practice with a nice smooth DA revolver, ideally in a low recoil caliber like .22LR if you think flinch might be part of the problem.

I recommend spending some time with a qualified instructor. There are a number of drills and techniques but you will probably get the most benefit by a few hours of one on one basic instruction.

Ken

What is your definition of "trigger jerking"?

What does your shot pattern look like on specific targets at different distances?

What a lot of people call "jerking the trigger" is actually anticipation. The speed that the trigger is moved is generally not a problem into and of itself, however, if you are shooting one handed bullseye, it does matter.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

OK shooting steel at a speed match, I was hit the 4x4 post 4 times at 6 O' clock just under the 8" circle @ 20 yards before I slowed down enough to hit the plate. I had a nice tight group right underneath of the target.
    Last edited by hank440; 06-23-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Nothing wrong with jerking the trigger as long as it is straight back. What does the front sight tell you as you are pressing the trigger? Make sure you aren't blinking as you press the trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That's anticipation.

Everybody that shoots fast has had to deal with it, or is still dealing with it.

I apologize for the hit and run post, work calls, if nobody covers what I was going to say, I'll pop back in, but this is a very common problem with a few proven methods of correction/mitigation.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Site Supporter
    What type of gun do you shoot? If it is a Glock, buying a Next Level Training SIRT would be a great tool to aid in your dry fire. For my P30, I have been using a Laser Lyte training cartridge (Thanks to TheTrevor for this recommendation) to give me feedback during my dry fire sessions.

I use a G17 and I have a SIRT pistol, the problem only happens when I trying to go very fast.

User Tag List