Thread: Anyone ever turned a G34 into a full on Limited gun?

Anyone ever turned a G34 into a full on Limited gun?

This is admittedly for someone else's project that I'm being asked to help out with, but they are wanting to take a G34 and make a Limited gun out of it. My first thoughts were Dawson sights, a Dawson ICE magwell, and some magazine extensions to get the capacity up there. I was thinking Dawson for the extensions, but I'm very open to other suggestions there as I have no experience with mag extensions.

Anyway, interested to hear from anyone that's done a project like this, what works, what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    This is admittedly for someone else's project that I'm being asked to help out with, but they are wanting to take a G34 and make a Limited gun out of it. My first thoughts were Dawson sights, a Dawson ICE magwell, and some magazine extensions to get the capacity up there. I was thinking Dawson for the extensions, but I'm very open to other suggestions there as I have no experience with mag extensions.

Anyway, interested to hear from anyone that's done a project like this, what works, what doesn't.
    It's going to be hard as hell to be competitive without the benefit of major PF scoring. It can be done, but you'd be better off just using a G35.

Quote Originally Posted by 2501 View Post
    It's going to be hard as hell to be competitive without the benefit of major PF scoring. It can be done, but you'd be better off just using a G35.
    My back up LTD gun is a 35 set up like the OP spec'd

I wished I had gotten my 2011 sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by 2501 View Post
    I realize that the gun is not the ideal Limited gun, nor is the caliber, and I advised my friend of that. He's just at an interesting point with his shooting where he doesn't wanna switch calibers just for USPSA, but he's decided the 10 round limit in Production is lame. He's not what I'm gonna call a hard core gamer anyway. He asked me to help him out, so I'm trying to.

Yes I have. DP sights and ICE were my selection as well. I'd go with the Taylor Freelance extensions over the DP's though. A slightly more economical choice would be the Arrendondo's, however, be advised that you'll have to grind the little nubbins off the bottom of the pads b/c they'll be slightly too long for the mag gauge.
    If you want to make it a full on Limited gun with no going back to production, I'd also go ahead and undercut the frame where the grip and trigger guard meet.
    Throw a little skateboard tape on the side of the slide for a touch point and you got yourself a limited gun.

While others have stated it's not ideal, it's without a doubt doable, you just have to manage the accelerator a little differently than if shooting major. Slow down just a tick and shoot A's and you can absolutely be competitive in Limited shooting minor. Make up time on transitions, non-essential movements and footwork. I know several people, including my wife, who shoot limited minor on a regular basis. I also know 2 people that made Master shooting minor. If it makes him happy and it's what he wants, I say go for it. I've never seen a USPSA match give away a new truck for the winner so why not run what ya want!

Quote Originally Posted by New4John View Post
    I've never seen a USPSA match give away a new truck for the winner so why not run what ya want!

Appreciate your whole post. That last line, gold in my eyes.

Additional note as I may have gotten ahead of myself on the base pads. I prefer the TF's, but I have those on my M&P. The wife has Arrendondo's on her 34 Limited gun. I just remembered however, I do not think the TF's will fit in the ICE magwell, so make sure you check that...it may rule out the TF basepads. (I'd go with the weighted ICE over the SSS magwell that the Taylor's will fit in. I went with the SSS magwell and brass TF extensions on my M&P to add the weight, the con side it that it also adds $$$.
    The TTI's would also be a good choice. I have no first hand experience with the TTI's on the GLOCK mags, although we have had no issues at all with the Arrendondo's (and they've been used hard in 3-Gun, not just USPSA)

Site Supporter
    If he doesn't like the "grip angle" of the glock, he could also add a Grip Force Adapter. I like mine

Edited to add: Origami knows a thing or two about minor scoring in Limited, and it hasn't seemed to slow him down much. He even shoots from concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    If he doesn't like the "grip angle" of the glock, he could also add a Grip Force Adapter. I like mine

Edited to add: Origami knows a thing or two about minor scoring in Limited, and it hasn't seemed to slow him down much. He even shoots from concealment.
    He's going GEN 4, so if he wants a beavertail, it's right there in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by New4John View Post
    Additional note as I may have gotten ahead of myself on the base pads. I prefer the TF's, but I have those on my M&P. The wife has Arrendondo's on her 34 Limited gun. I just remembered however, I do not think the TF's will fit in the ICE magwell, so make sure you check that...it may rule out the TF basepads. (I'd go with the weighted ICE over the SSS magwell that the Taylor's will fit in. I went with the SSS magwell and brass TF extensions on my M&P to add the weight, the con side it that it also adds $$$.
    The TTI's would also be a good choice. I have no first hand experience with the TTI's on the GLOCK mags, although we have had no issues at all with the Arrendondo's (and they've been used hard in 3-Gun, not just USPSA)

Thanks for the help. I'm passing all this stuff along.

User Tag List