Thread: Coating shop for a single small part?

Site Supporter

Coating shop for a single small part?

Can anyone recommend a coating outfit that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg to do a single small part, such as a 1911 thumb safety?

Needs to be black, I'm thinking something Cerakote-ish is probably ideal, but I'm not picky as long as it doesn't wear off too easily. I'm also not in a rush, and conceivably could wait until someone (cough...Bill Riehl?...cough) is doing a batch of black stuff for something else.

For background, this was from a Dan Wesson CCO that I was happy with, except for some really annoying corners on the thumb safety. I finally got fed up with it enough to introduce Mr. Safety to Mr. Belt Sander, and am now satisfied with the profile, but there's a lot of bare metal showing on an otherwise nice looking gun.

I suppose the other option is a DIY spray & bake, but am not sure if the 7-year old can of Gunkote in the garage is the right answer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Site Supporter
    Probably be cheaper to buy some new gunkote or touch it up with cold blue or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Can anyone recommend a coating outfit that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg to do a single small part, such as a 1911 thumb safety?

Needs to be black, I'm thinking something Cerakote-ish is probably ideal, but I'm not picky as long as it doesn't wear off too easily. I'm also not in a rush, and conceivably could wait until someone (cough...Bill Riehl?...cough) is doing a batch of black stuff for something else.

For background, this was from a Dan Wesson CCO that I was happy with, except for some really annoying corners on the thumb safety. I finally got fed up with it enough to introduce Mr. Safety to Mr. Belt Sander, and am now satisfied with the profile, but there's a lot of bare metal showing on an otherwise nice looking gun.

I suppose the other option is a DIY spray & bake, but am not sure if the 7-year old can of Gunkote in the garage is the right answer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Send it. I'll do it free.

Site Supporter
    Much appreciated! Email inbound.

User Tag List