Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IRS scandal- or how the dog ate my homework

IRS scandal- or how the dog ate my homework

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/20/politi...ils/index.html

Absolutely disgusting.

7 computers conveniently crashed during the same period eliminating all records of suspicious emails. And the "backup tapes" have been overwritten. And the hard drives have all been wiped and "recycled".

That's how transparent Admins operate.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    "domestic enemies"
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"Crashed" so that what they are calling wiping a hard drive these days? Or did the take the slightly less obvious route and stick the drive in a paint shaker?

I'm not defending the IRS or the administration by any means; however, we had a server crash here at the SO and lost several months of email that can't be restored.

I do think that they would be operating on a much better computer system than we are though.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    IME: Asking administrators whether an email is recoverable often yields a different answer than if you asked the mail server admins.

Site Supporter
    If an employee's local hard drive crashed, the emails should still be on the server assuming their infrastructure is even somewhat decent. If it's not on the primary server it should be on the secondary server used for fail-over. If it's not on the secondary server they can pull it off the backups. If the backups were lost (sigh) they can start examining logs to determine where emails were sent during the time period in question (may or may not help depending on their level of logging). If all of those measures somehow inexplicably cannot turn up the information then they should just ask the NSA to deliver what they have.

Site Supporter
    Please.... if the HDD crashed (desktop, laptop, server, whatever.. ) the data is still recoverable (most of it, certainly). Send it to a tech that specializes in that sort of thing.

Then.... The statistical probability of all of the 7 key players in this email scandal having near-simultaneous unrecoverable HDD failure is infinitesimally small, approaching zero.

Just that fact that we're discussing this is evidence that they bad guys have won, again.
    We should be talking about criminal indictments and impeachment, instead we have another conveniently lesser scandal.

Liberty weeps.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    When our hard drives really crash, they go in to a big bin and are shredded.

Sometimes email systems are built with the intention of making emails impossible to recover. It's done by design.

^^Yes.

User Tag List