Thread: AR barrel/gunsmithing question

AR barrel/gunsmithing question

Let's say that I had a Colt 9mm AR with the 16 inch tube, and was planning on converting it to an SBR via Form 1, etc. I'm working on the feasibility of this plan right now, and my big question is how to go about changing the barrel length. I'd want it shorter (obviously) and still threaded so I could attach a muzzle device, but I'm not sure about the best route. The options that I see are 1) cut down the barrel to the desired length, and 2) buy a replacement barrel in the desired length.

The primary issue with Option 1 that I see is finding a good gunsmith to do the work. This isn't something I'd want to trust the Professional Sight Installers at Scheels to do, but I don't know enough about the custom AR market to figure out who'd be good to send my barrel to.

The primary issue with Option 2 is that Colt doesn't sell 10.5 inch 9mm barrels to the public, so I'd have to get an aftermarket barrel, which would then ruin the whole point of building a shorty Colt 9mm gun, because I'd always know that the barrel wasn't right.

So the question is: does anyone have a real recommendation for who to send the barrel to for cutting?

https://www.adcofirearms.com

They've done work for me in the past. Highly recommend them. Thinking about sending them a 18" barrel to re profile to a lightweight.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Sweet, thanks. I'd found those guys via the google bots but was having a hard time finding relevant info on their quality.

No prob. Good luck. I personally have had them reprofile and bead blast a barrel. A buddy has had them do that and other work. All were done well, priced appropriately and turn around time was short.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

I have one of their short barrels in 9mm on my pistol......no complaints.

Another vote for ADCO. There was some drama with them on LF a few years ago but IMO the people doing the complaining don't know poop from brown bread.

Something else RE: cutting down the barrel, Colt uses a different profile than others I've seen, and I prefer the lighter profile of the Colt.

If suppressing is at all in the cards, I would suggest a shorter length. I had a 10.5" and found it too long with the can, and swapped it out for (I think) an 8" and am much happier.

Randy Rausch of AR15barrels also does good barrel work.
    Specialized Armament (http://www.specializedarmament.com/) is the probably the place where you can find just about any Colt rifle part, they don't have any 10" 9mm barrels listed in the online catalog but might have one sitting around. Ken and crew also do top notch work, but their labor prices are a bit on the high side.
    <---Hates smart phones and kids on his lawn.

User Tag List