Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Revolver (Security Six) Flyers

Site Supporter

Ruger Revolver (Security Six) Flyers

I recently picked up a Ruger security six 4". The gun seems to shoot 3 or 4 rounds in a decent group at POA and throw the remaining 2 or 3 rounds about 4 to 6" high / high right at 25 yards.

I used Federal 147 Gr +P+ Hydra shoks and Rem/UMC 130 gr FMJ with similar results. I then shot the same ammo out of a S&W model 10 with no problems.

I previously had a GP-100 with a bad chamber which cased 5/1 issues but barrel / crown and chambers look OK so I'm thinking a timing issue ?

Ruger CS states they no longer have parts for the security sixes. Other options ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I recently picked up a Ruger security six 4". The gun seems to shoot 3 or 4 rounds in a decent group at POA and throw the remaining 2 or 3 rounds about 4 to 6" high / high right at 25 yards.

I used Federal 147 Gr +P+ Hydra shoks and Rem/UMC 130 gr FMJ with similar results. I then shot the same ammo out of a S&W model 10 with no problems.

I previously had a GP-100 with a bad chamber which cased 5/1 issues but barrel / crown and chambers look OK so I'm thinking a timing issue ?

Ruger CS states they no longer have parts for the security sixes. Other options ?
    You can do a quick and dirty timing check with a flashlight and looking down the muzzle to see if the chambers line up. A better option is with a wooden dowel that just fits the bore.

Neuremberg (sp? I'm on my phone else I'd get you a link) might have parts available. You might also check the cylinder face to see if it's out of true or if there's a gap issue. I'd also clean it very well with a lead removing compound as buildup on the cylinder face might be causing the issue.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Ignore Alien Orders

Ha! I just saw Nuremberg in my post! Not sure where my mind was when I typed that! Anywho, JAD has the correct name and link. Thank you.
    Julius Caesar

Cars or sausages, or some sort of unsavory combination, I presume.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Nuremberg ? I think you were just being "Judgemental" about my purchase :-)

Seriously, thanks, this thing has issues but it has a pretty cool white line fromt sight so i'm willing to mess with it a bit. While doing the timing check I noticed the cylinder binding when cocking it singe action. It's time for a trip to the gunsmith.

Haha! I can't even blame autocorrect as I misspelled Nuremberg the fist go-round. I blame it on working a double. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If it were a S&W I could give you a better detail of what to look for. If it's a timing issue there should be some indication of wear on the nose of the hand and ratchet. I'm basically Ruger illiterate though. :-(
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter

Any thoughts on the source of that front sight ?

Other than it looks like it's not original to the gun, no. I do like that profile though.

Site Supporter
    Update,

I took the gun to an actual gunsmith, who diagnosed end float and a damaged crown. He installed a shim and rer-cut the crown. I took it back out with three types of .38 spl ammo. grouping improved but wasn't great. About double the size of the groups from my S&W M-10. Also had the action lock up again as the gun heated up. I returned the gun to the seller with full disclosure for a re-fund / trade in on a P-226.

User Tag List