Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double-feeds on my 92FS compact

Site Supporter

Double-feeds on my 92FS compact

So I recently brought home with me, a Beretta 92FS compact. I have enjoyed the pistol quite a good deal, but just today at the range, I was shooting and had 3 FTE/double feeds all within 50 rounds of each other. I suspect it was the reloads I was using because I don't want to suspect the extractor or extractor spring (because replacing that part is..admittedly...beyond my scope at the moment.

Could it be other issues? Magazines or recoil springs or a tight chamber?

Site Supporter
    I assume we're talking about an extraction failure, where the spent round was left in the chamber?

Is the chamber dirty? Does a new round drop in the barrel and fall out?

What does the extractor hook look like, is it chipped?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Bad news - unless your chamber is sooper dirty or there is a lot of gunk under the extractor, it sounds lit an issue with the extractor being chipped or a weak spring.

Good news - replacing the extractor and spring on a 92 series pistol is pretty straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHfTNBASOsA
    Last edited by Suvorov; 06-16-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Is the pistol lubed?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Try it with some good quality factory ammo and see what happens.

Site Supporter
    If you're having a true double feed, which is two live rounds feeding from the magazine at the same time, it's a definitive magazine problem. If you have fired case and a live round in the same pathway, it's likely an extractor problem. Simple diagnosis there and most folks don't know a double feed from a 1 + 1 failure (one live, one fired).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    If you're having a true double feed, which is two live rounds feeding from the magazine at the same time, it's a definitive magazine problem. If you have fired case and a live round in the same pathway, it's likely an extractor problem. Simple diagnosis there and most folks don't know a double feed from a 1 + 1 failure (one live, one fired).
    I was one of these people until this post. Thank you!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I was one of these people until this post. Thank you!
    Ditto. The failures I was getting were 1+1 failures. The gun was freshly cleaned and lubricated, so it would appear that I have an extractor to replace. Thanks for the link Suvorov. It didn't appear chipped, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably the extractor spring, but I'll probably just replace both so I don't have any worries.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Ditto. The failures I was getting were 1+1 failures. The gun was freshly cleaned and lubricated, so it would appear that I have an extractor to replace. Thanks for the link Suvorov. It didn't appear chipped, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably the extractor spring, but I'll probably just replace both so I don't have any worries.
    Brownells is a real good source for 92 parts.

That said, you could just take the extractor out and make sure the channel there is clean and see if that works before investing the $20 or so it will cost for an extractor and spring.

And thanks Wayne for the education as well....
    Last edited by Suvorov; 06-17-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Brownells is a real good source for 92 parts.

That said, you could just take the extractor out and make sure the channel there is clean and see if that works before investing the $20 or so it will cost for an extractor and spring.

And thanks Wayne for the education as well....
    Good call. Also, I've heard it's possible to install a lighter hammer spring from the D series Berettas. Will the D spring reliably crack primers?

User Tag List