Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What could/should USPSA do to attract the average CCW holder

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    USPSA has a vision and messaging problem. IDPA clearly says "we are the sport for new shooters and CCW people." 3Gun clearly says "we are the extreme shooting sport" and Bianchi Cup says "we are the classy, premiere pistol match."

USPSA doesn't really market, which is bad in and of itself, but worse than that they don't even know how to brand themselves. I agree that they should absolutely embrace the message that they're the premiere practical pistol sport, because in general USPSA is harder and more challenging to shoot than IDPA. If anything, I think they should attempt to brand themselves as IndyCar to IDPA's go-kart races. Say "this is where the big kids play" and be honest about it.
    Indy car vs. go-kart was kind of where I was going when I was talking about the difficulty and talent level present in USPSA, so I definitely agree there. USPSA IS the premier practical pistol sport. That's what's rubbing me when almost every time I see competition being discussed, it's some other sport, unless the discussion is taking place on a forum (or blog) where there's a decent number of USPSA shooters and members present.

Honestly, I do wish they did more and better marketing, particularly where it comes to the fact that they do have a division for mostly stock, readily available guns.

I understand that participation is up at the club level, and I've definitely noticed it at the local matches I have been to. Attendance at my main local is up close to 50%. I like it. Every new shooter that I've talked in to coming with me has spent the largest part of their day at the range with an ear to ear grin. I'm just trying to see if there's a way that the organization itself can do a better job getting the word out to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

My main question here is how can the organization market itself in a way that with the largely false preconceived notions that so many have about USPSA. I know you've heard them. That's what I started this thread to discuss.
    If your "target" audience is CCW crowd, then I am not sure that "race, raceguns and racegear" is necessarily a preconceived notion that deters CCW'ers. IDPA's argument of "there's no walk through and stage planning in real life" is both valid and powerful for newbs aspiring to carry. Then they come and see people run around with exposed dropped and offset holsters and bullets out pouches, and it is not surprising they can't identify with it, 'cause it ain't notion but a reality.
    Last edited by YVK; 05-31-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Well, too bad for them I say.

You see, USPSA has these things called DIVISIONS, I don't believe anyone with half a brain comes and sees a match and then can't find something relatable.

I do believe those with "half a brain" repeat nonsense and bull crap. That's why I know that if CCW holders come to visit a USPSA match with an open mind, they will stay. It's just too much freedom to pass up. Plus when you watch an experienced production shooter smoke a draw and rap up an 8 shot classifier in under 3.5 seconds you are gonna want that skill. That is, if you have half a brain.

Therein lies the problem with some CCW/IDPA types, ........USPSA is EGO crushing.

So again, drive to USPSA, you'll never look back.
    Last edited by Fourtrax; 05-31-2014 at 07:01 PM.

I stopped shooting USPSA as a new shooter when IDPA got rolling, and was very active until the polos showed up. I went back at one point and shot some club uspsa matches. The same thing that drove me away from IDPA was there in spades -- rules lawyers, gear whores, and the curious sort of Fudd who keeps his race gun unloaded in his safe and *doesn't own another pistol.*

Unfortunately I don't think you can get rid of that element. I think it's drawn by the nature of everybody's a winner competition.

I would say it's just me, but it's all of my friends too. For all of us, it's completely off putting.

That's ok though -- as was said above, we 'need not apply.'
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtrax View Post
    That's why I know that if CCW holders come to visit a USPSA match with an open mind, they will stay.
    My experience is that, if both sports are equally available, they come to a USPSA match, say WTF, go join IDPA, shoot some matches, say WTF, and go back to shooting USPSA. And that specifics of local clubs largely override philosophical preferences. But that's just my experience.

Move to TIME+ Scoring, and dump the sponsored shirts, provide opportunities for use of cover, and stop making fun of people (Or orgs) who aren't as great a shooter as YOU...that is not aimed at anyone in particular....just saying...plenty of ego going around in USPSA. The "EGO crushing comment" is a perfect example of the arrogance that scares people away. Learn to be good coaches.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    No fancy shirts. Nothing like some of the physiques wrapped up in form fitting shirts in black and yellow that make you look like a bumble bee! Form fitting is not for most of the shooters I see. Yuk!

Clubs can have egos - that's true of cameras,coins, cycles, and guns. Jerks are jerks. Luckily, the San Antonio clubs are pretty mellow, for the most part. One club, did have a religious war over stupid management. Quit that one.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Move to TIME+ Scoring,
    No, hit factor scoring provides a good balance between speed and accuracy.

and dump the sponsored shirts,
    Why, if the sponsors allow you to pay for your shooting, they are going to want something out of it? Besides which I see almost as many jerseys running around other shooting sports as I see at a USPSA match. Heck I saw a group with jerseys at a GSSF match.

provide opportunities for use of cover,
    You can already, you will lose if you do so, but there are no rules prohibited you from doing tactical shooting as long as you stay in the shooting area. Heck you can also shoot outside the shooting area if you wish, but you will get one of the rare USPSA fingers.

and stop making fun of people (Or orgs) who aren't as great a shooter as YOU...that is not aimed at anyone in particular....just saying...plenty of ego going around in USPSA. The "EGO crushing comment" is a perfect example of the arrogance that scares people away. Learn to be good coaches.
    If you aren't a douche that needs a good ego deflating, there is plenty of coaching available to you at a USPSA match.

USPSA is only ego crushing to those that have an opinion of their shooting ability beyond what they can actually do. After seeing how good others are, there are two courses call them gamers and quit, or endeavor to improve you shooting skills. IDPA can be just as ego crushing when you watch the really good master/DM level shooters go through a stage.

What do people mean when they say 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 stage layouts?

I think the biggest problem with USPSA (not attracting the average CCW holder) is that there are too many rules. To make things worse, the rules change and new rules are added frequently (in a relative sense). It's like the federal government creating more an more laws and regulations all the time . . . I don't know how big the USPSA rule book is now, but it's big. It's very difficult for a relatively new shooter, an experienced shooter who is relatively new to competition shooting, or even the occasional competition shooter to get comfortable and competent in USPSA matches.

I know there are people who will say, "I only shoot 1 or 2 USPSA matches a year, and I am fine at those matches." But those are people who are on brianenos.com all the time and constantly thinking about matches, stages, techniques, new rules, how to game stages, etc. There's nothing wrong with that. But that is definitely not the average CCW holder, and it puts the average CCW holder at a significant disadvantage.

I think we are past the point where people think of USPSA as something dominated by race guns. From my experience (and maybe it's just the people I run into), it's generally the older people who have that prejudice. Most relatively new or young shooters I talk to don't have that image of USPSA. Maybe it's due to the relatively recent popularity of USPSA's Production division.

Joe Mamma

If your local USPSA club's top shooters max out at B or C class, is there a lot of "premier" or "ego crushing" anything going on? Having shot in a few of those, guys shooting production or limited in practical gear can remain quite competitive, and the matches have a very regular-guy tone overall. Even with some space guns and polyester shirts.

What are the stats for distribution of classifications, number of divisions, etc across clubs? Anyone keep them?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List