Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: What could/should USPSA do to attract the average CCW holder

I think some folks around here might be confusing Doodie Project and the membership of USPSA at large.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I think some folks around here might be confusing Doodie Project and the membership of USPSA at large.
    I will say, when I think of the internet presence of USPSA, I think of Brian Enos' forums first, Doodie Project second.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Or, just be happy with USPSA as it is? USPSA is really not a game intended for CCW, anyway.
    We aren't talking about changing USPSA in any way, simply to get more people to shoot it by marketing it better.

Surely the world is big enough for both sports to coexist and both be prosperous.

No we will bury IDPA.

Again we aren't talking about IDPA, we are talking about broadening the appeal of USPSA through better marketing. I know that your world revolves around IDPA, but we aren't talking about IDPA except in the fact that the are successful at marketing to the press and many shooters new to competition. I believe that USPSA can do a bit of draw through that crowd via better marketing.

I get the marketing thing, but if the GAME isn't a concealed carry game, then why try to attract CCW shooters? Your better bet is to market to IDPA shooters who need to get more trigger time and pick up some speed.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I get the marketing thing, but if the GAME isn't a concealed carry game, then why try to attract CCW shooters?
    Because you can run around and shoot stuff as god intended. Indoor shooting ranges, and NRA style commercial outdoor shooting ranges are an abomination.

I think many people that experience the joy of not being on the traditional shooting range will love it. Watch the latest episode of Noir, they take the lady co-host out to a competition style range for the first time and she absolutely loved it.

It just sounds like you want it both ways: You want to attract Concealed Carry Shooters, but then you don't want to change the GAME to make it more appealing to CCW shooters. Shooting for Self Defense is not just running fast and shooting stuff, and pretty sure God would want me to use cover. And, don't give me the "you can shoot the stage any way you want BS"...because the GAME doesn't reward that behavior and stages are not designed with that in mind.

What is also sounds like is that you just don't want to give IDPA the legitimacy it deserves. "Make USPSA attractive to CCW shooters and then they don't need IDPA."
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

It just sounds like you want it both ways: You want to attract Concealed Carry Shooters, but then you don't want to change the GAME to make it more appealing to CCW shooters. Shooting for Self Defense is not just running fast and shooting stuff, and pretty sure God would want me to use cover. And, don't give me the "you can shoot the stage any way you want BS"...because the GAME doesn't reward that behavior and stages are not designed with that in mind.

What is also sounds like is that you just don't want to give IDPA the legitimacy it deserves. "Make USPSA attractive to CCW shooters and then they don't need IDPA."
    I made no such statement. In fact my statement could be used to support IDPA too.

I simply think that when shooters get a taste of any sport that takes them outside the traditional shooting range that they will enjoy it. That is why I think that USPSA can be successful at appealing at CCW shooters.

You are WAY too sensitive of any perceived slight to IDPA. Hell I think most of your participation from this thread is because we want to market to first time competition shooters so that they come directly to USPSA, instead of IDPA which has a better marketing arm to those people. I simply want to get more shooters and more press attention to USPSA.

I honestly could care less about IDPA anymore, if they are successful great; if they go bankrupt that is Joyce's fault not mine. I don't shoot IDPA anymore and I really don't have a driving need to discuss the sport unless someone brings it up. I only use IDPA as an example of successful marketing to new shooters, and I ask what can USPSA do to market to new shooters?
    Last edited by PPGMD; 06-04-2014 at 10:34 AM.

How do you attract more CCW shooters? Make them wear vests!
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

What people really need to know is that it is just shooting. To a slow IDPA player they think that one game is more applicable than the other but they're the same. IDPA does have "cover" to use it loosely. They have imaginary cover that doesn't actually represent using cover. IDPA does have "concealment" but it's imaginary because everyone has competition specific equipment for their concealment garment. If people knew that uspsa was like IDPA without the pretend stuff maybe they would participate.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What people really need to know is that it is just shooting. To a slow IDPA player they think that one game is more applicable than the other but they're the same. IDPA does have "cover" to use it loosely. They have imaginary cover that doesn't actually represent using cover. IDPA does have "concealment" but it's imaginary because everyone has competition specific equipment for their concealment garment. If people knew that uspsa was like IDPA without the pretend stuff maybe they would participate.
    Orionz,
    You want it both ways, too. You want to make it *seem* the same but it's not. They are different, otherwise we wouldn't have thousands of lines of postings about IDPA v USPSA. It is true that shooting SKILLS are shooting SKILLS, but the game operations are different: targets, TIME+, Cover, Concealment, Priority, etc. We have real barricades or barrels that really have to be used for cover. We don't specify vests. I have seen plenty of people shoot with an unbuttoned shirt or a CCW shirt that rips open on the side or just a jacket. They can be anything the shooter wants as long as it covers the gun and mags and is safe. It's not imaginary when you have a very fast disappearing target and your concealment garment gets caught up and makes you slow to the draw...been there. There is no "pretend stuff." Cover, concealment and priority are real operations that must be performed that impact your speed and accuracy. Not to mention reloading restrictions.

The operations of the GAMES are very different and everybody knows it....you are pretending if you think otherwise. For shooting SKILL (Grip, Trigger control, Sighting, movement, etc.), I agree. People are attracted to IDPA because its both SKILL and Defensive aspects. People are attracted to USPSA because of SKILL and Competition aspects.
    Cody

User Tag List