Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What could/should USPSA do to attract the average CCW holder

But it's not really defensive aspects. It's larping with a pistol. While cover and concealment must be real they are not adequately represented in the game. IDPA has a pretend rule that is marginally different from a shooting box.

We have thousands of lines of text about IDPA most because it's all you go on about.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    But it's not really defensive aspects. It's larping with a pistol.
    LOL! One internetz, coming up!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Relevant to this post, today I wrote the business of the shooting sports part three, talking about USPSA.

At the end of the day, USPSA seems to be an organization of contradictions. The best product, the worst marketing, brilliant match successes, incredible failures. Tremendous shooter participation and engagement, slow growth. USPSA, in an election year, with participation in the shooting sports on the rise across the board, may find itself at the crossroads.

It's larping with a pistol.
    Ok that is funny.

But it's not really defensive aspects. It's larping with a pistol. While cover and concealment must be real they are not adequately represented in the game. IDPA has a pretend rule that is marginally different from a shooting box.

We have thousands of lines of text about IDPA most because it's all you go on about.
    Just because it's not the be-all and end-all of tactical training doesn't mean it is not valuable skill development.
    It deserves respect, and deserves the same brotherly treatment we give USPSA.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Just because it's not the be-all and end-all of tactical training....
    It's not tactical training. It's just a game. They're both GAMES.

Cody,

I think you need to take a step back, you are taking this way too seriously. Heck you jumped on my back about disparaging IDPA with a post that did nothing of the sort. As far as I can remember no one brought up IDPA in a disparaging manner until you came in here and said USPSA should become like IDPA. You keep on doing that and people are going to attack IDPA.

None of us want to turn USPSA into IDPA. But we do want to figure out what makes it a success to recruiting new shooters while USPSA has remained stagnant, and use that to help bring more people into the USPSA fold so that we may continue to grow.

I kind of scratch my head when it comes to thinking of a way to market. The only way readily apparent to me is to directly invite non-competing shooters who I personally know to come and try (or watch) a USPSA match. I take care to squad with them and try to help them through their first match. That's the only thing I know to do.

So, to brainstorm a little bit on potential angles of marketing:

Exciting, action-packed video: I showed two friends who are gun owners and in favor of guns for self-defense, but don't train and don't shoot frequently, a video of me shooting a USPSA match, and within ten seconds of viewing, they both had big grins and asked what they had to do in order to participate.

Reframing ideas of skill: This is very much me coming from the defensive training world, a place where at least some new-to-CCW people are found - let shooters see, in person if possible, or on video if needed, what a high level (big picture here) of skill with a pistol looks like. Let them see someone shooting a relatively stock pistol better and faster than they understood to be possible. Reframing my definition of 'very skilled' is what it took for me to want to have that skill. A quest for technical skill that is based on recognition of true human potential with a pistol is very likely to bring a person into contact with the competitive world.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

How about putting on a free or inexpensive skill building classes for new shooters, complete with a training journal to show their progress ??

This is done on a local level here. Last time I saw there were 60 some new shooters at what was called a "USPSA orientation."
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List