Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grooming Cue

The Grooming Cue

So I just read SouthNarcs essay on unknown contacts. Excellent read and very well presented, one thing really struck me though, the grooming cue. I have never had any training on body language, but working in bars for many years I thought I had a good handle on reading it. Man how did I miss this particular piece of info? Looking back at any of the fights or near fights that I can remember, almost every time the shithead did this. SN gives a simple explanation for it, but I'm wondering if anyone (SN included) has more to offer on this cue?
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Is the essay online somewhere? Or can you elaborate a bit for those of us who haven't read it or taken the class?

There is a link in this thread http://www.pistol-forum.com/showthre...-s-my-gun-quot

Its a couple posts down.
    Last edited by Slavex; 07-01-2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: edited to add link
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    So I just read SouthNarcs essay on unknown contacts. Excellent read and very well presented, one thing really struck me though, the grooming cue. I have never had any training on body language, but working in bars for many years I thought I had a good handle on reading it. Man how did I miss this particular piece of info? Looking back at any of the fights or near fights that I can remember, almost every time the shithead did this. SN gives a simple explanation for it, but I'm wondering if anyone (SN included) has more to offer on this cue?
    yes. in the book What Every Body is Saying by ex-FBI agent Joe Navarro. a great body language book that is concise and easy to follow. he talks about "grooming" but i believe he calls it a "pacifying" behavior IIRC. i did recommend it to SNarc after watching his PUC video and would love to hear his take on it as well.

great book though and you'll find yourself, while and after reading it, constantly deciphering body language....its kinda fun, but has a lot of application for potential threat situations and avoiding them before they become a problem. check it out, Amazon has the digital version and paperback for about $10 or so.

Here's a quick YouTube video on cues:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aa7r7Da8Nw

The video doesn't include the grooming cue, but the "facial wipe" is close. People can scratch the back of their head, run their fingers through their hair, or scratch, pull, rub their facial hair (beard, mustache, eyebrows.)

That's a great video link.

Thanks, got it and an interesting read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    There is a link in this thread http://www.pistol-forum.com/showthre...-s-my-gun-quot

Its a couple posts down.

interesting stuff, ill have to read up more on this subject.

If you can take the ECQC class, I highly recommend it. The information, drills, and practice you get on MUC's and close quarter combat are priceless. I will also say that at least in my class, we had some really good role players and improvisational acting. It's a major part of SA that most people miss or don't pay attention to.

SN is also one cool dude to hang out with!

I worked at a few different bars and nightclubs when I was younger and definitely do pay more attention to people's body language than most people I know. I think it's a good environment for studying people and signs of aggression or tension and how they interact with others. I'm definitely starting to learn more from reading here and I've also ordered SNarc's video that was discussed in the other thread. Here's a couple more videos that highlight on precursors.

Tony Blauer, SPEAR system, has some good tips as well.

Lots of precursors in this video.

Some people think it's silly that I like to sit facing the entrance.

This guy straight gets down! On point, ready to go and obviously trains throwing those hands.

Sorry for excessive videos.

User Tag List