Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: P35 Stuff, Continued

I'm really going to enjoy watching you turn a Hi-Power into a CZ75

For Tam and WCR....

Has been in the works for a while. The only outward change, still not immediately obvious to a non-P35 junkie. The test gun (not this one, this one belongs to a gov't type) had the EB welded to it with ugliness as a result. This was built up until it was just long enough to fit my fat hand w/o the possibility of hammer bite with a stock spur hammer (which, incidentally, will be mag particle inspected, stress relieved, lightened and bobbed for good measure).

Note the dimples. Those will come out as the extension is thinned. It's still too thick as is. Gonna be filed and blended with abrasive cloth.

For comparision, a standard Mk3

and a side by side with a Mk3

Thinking about offering this to gunsmiths for about $125 w/o refinishing, with final finishing to be done by them.

Should blue nicely still.

Looks amazing

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Compared with a CZ85

When you have a CZ next to a P35, you see just how wrong the "CZ is the product improved P35" line is.

Amazing work, Bill. Hammer bite was one of the reasons that I sold off my P-35's many moons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    One of the design fleas of the P35 is that the trigger mechanism travels from the frame into the slide and back into the frame. If you have a loose slide to frame fit, then you have a loose trigger mechanism fit.

Truing the slide entails cutting a couple thousandths off the slide rails to make sure they are square and true. Some are dead nuts on, some are off a few thousandths, and some are way off. Just like the hammer/sear pins - some are great, some are way off. That's why some guns come with a decent (6# or so) triggers and some with 12# grip exerciser triggers.

I machine mine to be about 0.0015 to 0.002 vertical/horizontal play. Less than that doesn't gain anything IMO.
    What should I be looking to see if my Hi Power is affected by this? Like I mentioned early, my slide wiggles quite a bit on the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    When you have a CZ next to a P35, you see just how wrong the "CZ is the product improved P35" line is.
    I'm actually not seeing it, was that just a P35 fan comment or is there something I'm missing? It seems like your fixing the P35 ergos to basically match the CZ, although the CZ trigger guard is both big enough to get a gloved finger inside and is upswept at the back to let your hand get a little higher.

I like the looks and the history of the P35 and think they're pretty cool guns but I don't know why one would objectively choose one over a CZ.

I also don't necessarily want to start a P35 vs CZ thread derail but would love to hear your thoughts on the CZ (maybe another thread if you want)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I like the looks and the history of the P35 and think they're pretty cool guns but I don't know why one would objectively choose one over a CZ.
    I can't reach the slide stop on a CZ without shifting the gun in my hand.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I'm actually not seeing it, was that just a P35 fan comment or is there something I'm missing? It seems like your fixing the P35 ergos to basically match the CZ, although the CZ trigger guard is both big enough to get a gloved finger inside and is upswept at the back to let your hand get a little higher.

I also don't necessarily want to start a P35 vs CZ thread derail but would love to hear your thoughts on the CZ (maybe another thread if you want)
    I'm not saying the P35 is better or worse. I'm saying the lineage isn't as clear as some would suggest. The guns share a double column mag, a pivoting trigger and the modified Browning locking barrel. They differ more significantly than they are similar, IMO.

I don't honestly think about the CZ much. I have a couple, including a Verbotten model. But I don't mix with their kind to any great degree. They are decidedly different guns with virtues and fleas.

Ahhh, I got you now. Yes, I agree that the CZ (like just about every handgun out there) borrows heavily from some JMB innovation but I don't think that it's a Hi-Power copy or product-improved etc.

Okie John - I can't either, good thing I've got 2 thumbs

User Tag List