Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Question re: Glock 34/35

Really??? As noted above, there are lots of LE officers who use G34/G35's on duty without issue, including Robert Vogel. Likewise, there is a USG organization that has used G34/G35 pistols in combat post 9/11 without problems...

Just like the G19 is the perfect size for off-duty/plainclothes/CCW use, the G34/G35 is great for duty use with a magwell and SF X300 light in place--in fact I generally prefer the G34/G35 over the G17 for such use.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    When I took a class with Mr. Hackathorn I shot my G35 after my G23's rear sight went AWOL. I specifically remember Mr. Hackathorn mentioning a scenario involving an undercover or plainclothes officer that somehow got pocket change (either a nickel or dime) in the slide cut out. This reportedly caused issues. Now, I can see it being an issue if you pocket carried it with the threat of change hitchhiking in the cut out but I would think the gun being holstered would make something like this highly unlikely? I always wanted to try to duplicate that issue by putting a penny or something in the cut out but I figured that was a bad idea.
    I've heard Hack tell this story as well. I think the guy stuck his duty weapon in his pocket loose while off duty doing something around the house and didn't notice it until later. That's how I recall the story but it's been a fee years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2alpha-down0 View Post
    It came up in our class last month. I seem to recall the pocket change anecdote, maybe MSparks will drop back in and confirm.
    Hackathorn has told the same story in a class I was in as well in 2012.

I run a 34 as a duty gun, many of my fellow officers run 34s/35s, and I have seen many other long-slides in the hands of fed/state teams doing far more high-risk stuff than I do. We also have a large multi-agency(fed/state/local/mil) facility near us and many of the instructor cadre(who also travel all around the US training folks) carry G34s/35s. I doubt they would if it was a huge issue. I'm with Doc on the long slides being a nice size for a duty gun. With a magwell and light they balance well, the added sight radius seems to point a little better as well as affording some protection to the light from muzzle blast/carbon buildup.

Question re: Glock 34/35

I personally feel the whole concern about the hole in the slide is a case of "what if" in the extreme but then what does my opinion mean anyway ....

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I personally feel the whole concern about the hole in the slide is a case of "what if" in the extreme but then what does my opinion mean anyway ....

Yeah...

I keep my phone on silent because what if I am engaging a bad guy in a dynamic critical stress incident and someone texts me giving away my location.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I really need to get around to patenting my idea for a lightweight snap-in slide-plug for the G34. Clearly there is more market than I realized. If I can combine it with an RMR mount, I'll be a rich man.

I admit I wondered about the ability for something to get in there and foul the gun up myself, long ago before I had one. I think I even asked about it on some forum (on the old pre-M4C G&R Tac forum, I think). When you look at it, it's an obvious question. The root of the question is more about whether it's a likely event for your usage than if it's possible. As a civilian CCWer I'd say it's a remote possibility that is mitigated by using a decent holster and actually checking your gun every now and then.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

How often has OrigamiAK experienced a problem with the G34 he CCW's every day?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I have no ken of Mr. Vickers. Mr. Hackathorn gave one of the best two day classes I've attended, but he says some stuff that's not exactly in need of a stone tablet. In my class for example, he cited as one of the primary reasons for carrying a BUG that one could dual wield and cover both avenues of a corner when clearing. He demonstrated and it did in fact look cool as hell.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    ...one could dual wield and cover both avenues of a corner when clearing. He demonstrated and it did in fact look cool as hell.

User Tag List