Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic COP/Military Shows/Movies?

Realistic COP/Military Shows/Movies?

I was wondering, as a civillian, what TV series or Movies are out there that you guys think are realistic, or even close?

I loved The Wire, The Killing, True Detective, Justified, The Americans, Southland, Generation Kill, first half of Full Metal Jacket, and a few others.

Maybe none of them are realistic, I wouldn't know. Justified certainly seems on the more ridiculous side, but the humor and characters are really fun.

Anyway, just curious, and also wondering what else might be out there.

Probably the most realistic cop show ever made was "Barney Miller". Most of those you listed are not very realistic. They are fun to watch, but not very close to the reality of LEO work or being a soldier. My $.02
    IIRC the old cop joke went something like "Everyone thinks we should be Adam-12, all the cops think we should be Hill Street Blues, and the reality is we are mostly Barney Miller and Andy of Mayberry."
    And since I'm on a nostalgia trip, the greatest line ever in a police show: when Belker says something along the lines of "geez, ya bite off one perp's nose and you're marked for life."
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I wasn't in WWII, but I understand the opening scenes of D-Day in Saving Private Ryan caused some problems with disturbing veterans who were there.
    None of the shows reflect the Iraq war accurately. Maybe get in your car and drive down the middle of the freeway for eight hours straight in Phoenix in the middle of summer looking out for garbage on the side of the road and passing begging hungry dirty children to get an accurate view of one common aspect of that conflict.

Hamburger Hill

Battleground (1949)

The Longest Day (1962)

just for fun:
    Arn The Knight Templar
    Last edited by Wolvee; 05-23-2014 at 08:55 PM.
    _________In celebration of Ramadan, I'll be eating Pork all month. You're Welcome._______________________

Reno 911is scarily realistic, and I'm not kidding.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    I watched Saving Private Ryan at a theater in Savannah filled with military (many from 1-75th Ranger BN). It was a very solemn group when the movie ended. I bought the DVD and I have never been able to watch it all the way through except that first time. Band of Brothers seemed well done also.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I was wondering, as a civillian, what TV series or Movies are out there that you guys think are realistic, or even close?
    ........"as a civilian"......how would one know if a program or movie is realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvee View Post
    Hamburger Hill

Battleground (1949)

The Longest Day (1962)
    What, no Kelley's Heroes? You and your negative waves...
    The Longest Day got a lot of history wrong.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Reno 911is scarily realistic, and I'm not kidding.
    Very true!

I was having flashbacks during End of Watch. That was a very "environmentally correct movie" as far as what policing in SoCal looks like. Colors was the same way back in the 80's. Yea, they are movies, but they got a lot of the culture and scenery right.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List