Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suitable materials that can add on to polymer frame?

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar

Suitable materials that can add on to polymer frame?

Obviously removing material from a polymer frame is quite easy, but are there materials suitable to add to the frame?

Are there epoxies that would adhere satisfactorily to Glock polymer? (I imagine solid adhesion might be difficult, but perhaps roughing up the polymer would help?)
    Are there multiple options of varying permanence/strength? No realistic options? Somewhere in between?
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

I thought RAT Grip made a product for Glocks (I remember watching a YouTube video on installation), however on their website they only have products listed for rifles...

No experience with them however.

ETA: Found it, it's called the SPRR Grip Kit. Video
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

There is a product that Brownells sells that folks wills and and stipple when they booger with backstraps on Glocks.

What are you looking to do?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Arcaglass seems popular for Glock modifications, but I've never used it on a Glock - only to bed a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What are you looking to do?
    Short answer: experiment with adding material near the mag release.

Longer answer: I have a well-loved Glock that has been abused with a dremel, soldering iron, and other implements. I previously removed a lot of material surrounding the magazine release, which has generally been fine (i.e. there haven't been any complications as a result). I recently changed out the magazine release, however, and don't particularly like how it now interfaces with my previous modification. I want to add just a little bit of material back. Don't yet know how much material... but want to experiment.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Short answer: experiment with adding material near the mag release.

Longer answer: I have a well-loved Glock that has been abused with a dremel, soldering iron, and other implements. I previously removed a lot of material surrounding the magazine release, which has generally been fine (i.e. there haven't been any complications as a result). I recently changed out the magazine release, however, and don't particularly like how it now interfaces with my previous modification. I want to add just a little bit of material back. Don't yet know how much material... but want to experiment.
    Lots of plastic welding systems out there. Welding nylon is pretty easy.

Might start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvV9a3lEe2g

The West Systems G Flex epoxy has worked for me on a couple of plastic repairs. Haven't tried it on a pistol.
    http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/

Spackle your crack! Just kidding... I've had success with JB Weld on plastics, but it's not the easiest thing to work with.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Looks like I have some reading/comparing to do.

Plastic welding looks pretty awesome, but is well beyond my capabilities (referring to both tools and skills).

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Arcaglass seems popular for Glock modifications, but I've never used it on a Glock - only to bed a rifle.
    I used the Acraglass on the inside rear of my grip-chop to make sort of a magwell/funnel/butt-plug combo. It is much harder than the Glock polymer. I did a lot of heavy roughing of the inside of the frame to make it bond well. It hasn't moved or had any problems since then. It was fairly easy to work with, but filling a hole where it's supported on all sides is obviously much different than getting it to cling to a flat surface on the outside of the gun.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List