Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimber Pro Carry: Should I even bother?

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Clever on Kimber's part. Not many businesses get away with forcing their customers to finish building the end product.
    Just like their "500rd break in period" BS that people have basically accepted. Clever indeed... if you can get away with it.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Kimber is a study in marketing genius. They have built a brand image with the general shooting public overnight that it took Harley-Davidson a century to do.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Kimber's small parts are not the best, and the ones with the II designation have the Swarts firing pin safety. The Super Carry Pro does not have the added BS and is simpler in design. But I have owned both guns with good results. If I was going to keep it, I would learn how to work on it, and get a rear sight puller, and some new parts. Then I would at the very least remove the rear sight and remove the Swarts type firing pin safety parts from the slide, and then I would go back with a Wilson Bullet proof extractor, and a new firing pin of good quality. Then I would purchase a new best quality slide stop from Wilson or Ed Brown and install that.

You could probably have a good smith adjust the extractor and fit the slide stop if you don't want to tackle it yourself. Some might say not to remove the firing pin safety crap out of the slide, but I would or trade it off for a gun that didn't have it in it, Like the Super Carry Pro if you want to stay with Kimber. Just my 2 cents. I am not a big Kimber fan, because they have a lot of MIM parts in them, and I have seen some parts breakage, but they do have a lot of cool models and with some work they can be pretty good.
    Last edited by Lastmohecken; 08-29-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Site Supporter
    Or you could just buy a Colt or Springfield and get something that works.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    There's a joke about lower lug battering...if you don't know what lower lug battering looks like, ask someone with a Kimber 😎

Nah, they can be made to run though if you do your due diligence. Be that doing your homework or paying the going rate for a smith...

User Tag List