Page 26 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Freakin' A bro! Tell us more about the pistol, sights, ammo.
    Thanks, just a stock-ish Gen4 G19. Meps for sights, 25 cent trigger job, and some 115 grain reloads I bought off our shooting club president. I'm a member of a Rod and Gun club up here in Vermont and a lot of the members are retired law enforement from NY, CT, and MA. They have been super helpful in helping me develop my shooting skills.

I couldn't get past the nagging feeling that my choice in equipment was adding to my frustration at 25 yds.

Bone-stock P-09 fresh out of the box. First shot DA.

I still need more time to work with the P-09, but I'm liking it so far.

That's excellent shooting. I'm going to have to try a CZ one day...

Quote Originally Posted by JWinTN View Post
    I couldn't get past the nagging feeling that my choice in equipment was adding to my frustration at 25 yds.

Very nice shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    That's excellent shooting. I'm going to have to try a CZ one day...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Very nice shooting!
    Thanks, gents.

I kind of impulse purchased the P-09, just to see what I could do with a different gun. I put 20 rds. through it last Saturday, and then shot ~80 rds. through it yesterday. That 25-yd. group was the second group I shot with it at that distance. The first group was similar but a little bigger and a little high because I didn't know the POI. So the second 25-yd. group I shot with the CZ was better than any I have shot with the M&P. That includes using what is a long and heavy DA first trigger pull. It may be just beginner's luck, though, so I'll just have to see after I shoot the gun some more.

I'm going to put the P-09 through its paces over the next few months, and if it pans out, I may be switching platforms.

Man, that is superb! Well done!

I did a bandwagon-purchase of a P07, a 1/13 model, and have been enjoying it immensely.

It's bone stock, but the white dot on the front sight was actually a lump, some kind of plastic insert; shaved that down with an X-acto knife, put down a coat of flat white paint and two light coats of orange, and have shot it like that, including one USPSA match in Production. FI-nally got around to zeroing it, for real last night.

25yd, freestyle, 115gr Speer Lawman, lollipop hold. Left is initial group, where I flung two upward. Right is after a bit of drift on the rear sight to correct for windage, and I did a big-time anticipation on one shot, low.

Mostly satisfied in regard to what the pistol is capable of, but the stock CZ sights are just awful. A set from CGW is on the way, if only to get rid of that horrible stock rear; we'll see if I can get POA/POI out of them...

The factory stippling is pretty good, but the parts that aren't stippled are REALLY slick. Gotta fix that, I took a lot of time on these groups, drying my hands off between shots.

I recently picked up a Browning Buckmark and started working on precision shooting from offhand. These were at 25 yards, two-handed, with Remington Viper ammo. Targets are standard B-8s. Groups were fired fairly quickly (aim and fire a round, lower the gun and take a couple breaths, raise, aim and fire again). Probably less than 2 minutes per 10-round string.

First group was a 96-3x. I fired five, peeked at the group and marked the shots, then ran the target back out and shot another five.

Next group was a 95-3x with an embarrassing flyer way up in the 7 ring

Last group was a 96-1x, centered a little too high on the target and with two flyers. However, I put 8 out of 10 into 1.5", which is pretty good by my standards.

The little .22 has a nice trigger and no recoil, so it really helps me focus on technique. I'd like to get to the point where I can get the occasional 100, but that's going to take some more practice.

Thanks, gents.

I kind of impulse purchased the P-09, just to see what I could do with a different gun. I put 20 rds. through it last Saturday, and then shot ~80 rds. through it yesterday. That 25-yd. group was the second group I shot with it at that distance. The first group was similar but a little bigger and a little high because I didn't know the POI. So the second 25-yd. group I shot with the CZ was better than any I have shot with the M&P. That includes using what is a long and heavy DA first trigger pull. It may be just beginner's luck, though, so I'll just have to see after I shoot the gun some more.

I'm going to put the P-09 through its paces over the next few months, and if it pans out, I may be switching platforms.
    That 25 yard 10 shot group is fantastic!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Man, that is superb! Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That 25 yard 10 shot group is fantastic!
    Thanks, guys. I hope to get some more time with the CZ soon. I hope I can get similar results with some consistency, though I don't look forward to switching investments.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    I did a bandwagon-purchase of a P07, a 1/13 model, and have been enjoying it immensely.
    The P-07 got me started looking at the CZ's, because I'm not a fan of the M&P Compact. It's good to see that the P-07's are capable in the hands of a good shooter. If the P-09 treats me well, I'll likely end up with a P=07 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by irascible_joe View Post
    I recently picked up a Browning Buckmark and started working on precision shooting from offhand. These were at 25 yards, two-handed, with Remington Viper ammo. Targets are standard B-8s. Groups were fired fairly quickly (aim and fire a round, lower the gun and take a couple breaths, raise, aim and fire again). Probably less than 2 minutes per 10-round string.
    If I weren't busy spending money on CZ's I'd likely take a look at a good .22. Seems like a good way to work on technique.

User Tag List