Page 24 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Site Supporter
    Geez hoss, whatever happened to that decreased accuracy you get from shorter barrels? 7 inches at 50 is unbelievable. I'd be lucky to do that with one of Joe Chambers or Jerry Keefers bullseye guns at 25 lol

Ruger 45 Colt, 4 5/8". 27 yards, 2 hands, offhand, Lyman 454424 bullet, with Herco powder (was a free pound of powder) at about 1000 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by JWinTN View Post
    Yeah, I guess there's gonna be times when it just doesn't work out. I just don't get why I would shoot a better group going faster than I would going slow. I'm likely overthinking and just taking too long to break the shot. If I were smart, I'd pay hoss to be a ghost shooter for me and just sign my name on the targets. Sheesh, 7" at 50.

I think I may switch focus to other skills for a while and come back to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Geez hoss, whatever happened to that decreased accuracy you get from shorter barrels? 7 inches at 50 is unbelievable. I'd be lucky to do that with one of Joe Chambers or Jerry Keefers bullseye guns at 25 lol
    Haha, thanks guys.

I wasn't feeling particularly "on" that day so I'll attribute most of it to the KKM barrel; though, hitting 3.6" at 25 with the OEM barrel gives me hope for longer distance accuracy. I think I'm going to swap my front sight for the Thin-CAP so that I have bigger light gaps. That should help (at least mentally) with accuracy.

I'm not sure if you guys follow Kyle Defoor on FaceBook, but he's been posting pretty regularly about one of his newly purchased Gen4 G19's and is getting similar results.

I think Glock hit a homerun with these new Gen4 pistols.
    If not me, then who?

And as I said before, that was some of the best (and most consistent) shooting I've done so far.
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Shooting a target grade 22 pistol can make you feel pretty good.
    Yeah, I'm about ready to go full bulls-eye. I wish I knew someone with the gear. I'd like to try some pure target pistol stuff and see what kind of results I get.

The Smith K-22's shoot really well. This was with a 6" model 17, unknown ammo. Was sort of cheating, I was kneeling, just seeing that it was zero'ed. 25 yards. Trying different ammo may tighten it up a bit. I had a 4" model 18 that shot a group just slightly larger at 46 yards, rested over the hood of the truck. I went and bought several thousand rounds of that particular ammo just to shoot in that gun. I didn't save that target, it was a pop can stuck on a fence post. All the shots were easily in half the can. At this point of accuracy, its up to the shooter, no worries about the gun.

Last edited by Malamute; 08-11-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    At this point of accuracy, its up to the shooter, no worries about the gun.
    I think I want to stick to blaming the gun, the ammo, and the shooter. Those posted groups are tight.

I am thinking about acquiring some match ammo, per Sotex's advice, to see if it makes much of a difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JWinTN View Post
    Is this some kind of known phenomenon? What could be tanking my slow-fire shots that I'm leaving out when going faster?
    I just end up attributing it to sometimes not giving yourself enough time to mentally get in your own way.

2012-made M&P9, with a most-current stock barrel in it.

Start of practice, cold, Blazer Brass 115gr, slow fire, probably took 3min or so:

Last thing done @ practice. Turning carriage set to 45sec; beat it by maybe 5sec:

I would love some discussion on stage 6 of the humbler. For some reason I hold this in my head as one of the ultimate tests of skill with a pistol. My biggest improvement came from making sure my draw was at full speed so I had maximum time to work the sights and trigger.

•Stage 6: SHO Rapid Fire from the holster ◦5 rounds
    ◦strong hand only from the holster
    ◦time limit: 10 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrlcop View Post
    I would love some discussion on stage 6 of the humbler.
    A significant factor is not waiting for a perfect sight picture. With good trigger control shots can be kept in the black. Too many folks waste far too much time trying to achieve a perfect sight picture.

User Tag List