Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Range Bags

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    No, just a little sensitive. C'mon, I took a suggestion for a Minnie Pearl purse with more aplomb than that.
    Doh! I forgot my smiley face. Though, I couldn't foretell my reaction if I got that Minnie Pearl purse suggestion...

Let me expand/clarify my last post. My midway bag has been great at indoor ranges for a few years of steady usage. When it goes, I want something bomb proof for use in the woods, where I do most of my shooting now.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    If I may, what has been going wrong with the Midway bags that you have seen, and under what type of use? I ask mostly because of the good luck I have had with my pair, namely the fact that when I was a few years younger I regularly loaded them with enough ammo that I had to carry them with two hands and they aren't any worse for wear. Not trying to be argumentative, but I am curious as to whether I got a couple of above average samples.
    Zipper failures were the most common complaint.

The users were the typical USPSA shooter, a match every couple of weeks, and a range trip every week.

I use a goruck GR1 as my everyday business bag. The quality is exceptional. I think they're well worth the money. They make what they call 'slick' rucks that don't have external Molle. What they don't have is a ton of pockets -- but you can Molle pouches to the inside of the thing to divide if you like. However, for me, I want range bags to be a top-down experience -- basically a big tray with handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    When that happens, unless I find something better by then, I'll get a goruck bag. The molle will get covered up with utility pouches for eyes/ears, bok, stapler/tools, cleaning kit, etc. So the inside can have guns and ammo. In sand color, which is almost white, for visibility. Does that make me a Tactical Timmy?
    I'm actually thinking the same thing.

A MOLLE backpack (honestly not sure which one yet, haven't found one I liked), with enough MOLLE to have pouches for everything I want quick access to (eyes, ears, trauma kit, water bottle, batteries, 3 magazines, and leatherman). A good suspension system, but not something has rigid and heavy as a ruck. But big enough to carry all the gear and ammo I need for a common match.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    If anyone knows of a good, solid back-pack bag (larger than day pack size) that won't make one look like like you're getting on the next plane for the third world, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I should add that the bag should be sturdy enough to hold some weight and with sufficient interior and a few exterior pouches, etc.. I normally carry ammunition separately, but sometimes throw a bag or two of reloads in there when I'm only going to shoot EDC stuff.

A pal showed up at the range a while back with a purpose-built-for-shooting shoulder bag that looked (and carried) exactly like a modern ruck. Very nice, but too big for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Does that make me a Tactical Timmy?
    Only in your mind.

This is a bit unusual, but this is the bag I use now. It is a Boyt Harness Mud River dog-handlers' bag.

https://www.boytharness.com/Boyt19.a...a-ca53218c6e69

It has lots of pockets and a big side pocket with smaller tool pockets where I keep tools, cleaning, lube, misc. It has a mesh pocket on the outside that holds my shooting glasses, belts, etc. The inside is orange and deep. I keep paper targets in the bottom. I think put my aluminum two-sided case into the inside. Very versatile and durable. The bottom rubberized stuff on the bottom is wearing out now after about 2.5 years. It has a steel rib which is great for reinforcement to keep it upright and stay open when you want it to stay open. The rib is now fraying and exposing the end of the steel.

Just something as an alternative that has served me well.

They also make tactical bags, such as this one: https://www.boytharness.com/Boyt20.a...6-c8e34f4fb21d

Anybody have any experience with this company/bags?

Thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Zipper failures were the most common complaint.

The users were the typical USPSA shooter, a match every couple of weeks, and a range trip every week.
    Thank you.

That's pretty much the use I've been getting from mine for the past year. Before that, it went through a pretty heavy rifle shooting phase, used about the same amount it is now, but then I hauled my ammo in it, and that is when I loaded it down pretty heavy pretty regularly. These days I haul my handgun ammo in ammo cans, so the bag doesn't get the strain it did a few years ago.

Like I said, I've had the thing for over 5 years, but probably not a full 10.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Kuny's 18" tool bag until I went to an LBT large wheeled tote for moving ARs and ammo as well.

Tool bag quality is often very high. Price is WAY better than tacticlol stuff.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I've been using an i-Shot range bag for years, and have been very pleased with the construction and performance. I've also met the owner a few times, and like supporting a local company. But lately I've been more attentive to wear and tear on my back, and this has led me to consider replacing my bag with a backpack. Interestingly, I had the opportunity to check out an i-Shot Gurkha backpack today (Todd recently wrote about one of these), and found it suitable for my needs. Order placed.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List