Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Project - TRP Goodness

New Project - TRP Goodness

No secret I like TRPs. A lot. And when you find one sub- $1k in LNIB, they represent the highest ROI in the 1911 world you can find.

The subject of the experiments:

First thing to go: the sights. This one is missing a lamp on the rear sight.

Detail strip, comments, pictures, criticisms and praise to follow.

If I had just had the patience to send my TRP off to mod it to suit my tastes I would still live with it. That gun was the equal of any of my Glocks in the proverbial boring reliability for the 2500 rounds I put through it with just lube and a couple cleanings. No break in needed for that 1911. Just needed 10-8 sights, a curved MSH, solid trigger (aesthetics) and lose the ambi safety for a GI sized one. (hard headedness).

I detest Novak rear sight especially too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm not a huge 1911 fan but the TRP might be a impulse buy later in life.

My Gen 2 SIGARMS GSR XO (and its workovers by the SIG Custom shop), follower by observing the issues a friend of mine has had with his, which he bought brand-new, have cured me of any desire for a TRP. While the potential is there, they seem to require a lot of massaging...

Of course, in your hands, Bill, I'm quite sure that all will turn out exceptionally well.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    No secret I like TRPs. A lot. And when you find one sub- $1k in LNIB, they represent the highest ROI in the 1911 world you can find.

The subject of the experiments:

First thing to go: the sights. This one is missing a lamp on the rear sight.

Detail strip, comments, pictures, criticisms and praise to follow.
    Next time you find a sub $1k LNIB TRP, let me know.

I like where this is going.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

I will be following this thread closely. I just broke 1000 rounds today with a LNIB TRP I picked up a little over a month and a half ago. So far I have ditched the FLGR for a GI setup from Wilson Combat. Also running a 17# Wilson recoil spring (not the flatwire). Took the stock sights off and replaced with a 10-8 rear and a Dawson Precision FO front. Removed the Springfield ILS. Running a 23# mainspring/Wilson parts now. Lastly I threw on a set of grey VZ Operators with the super-scoop thumb scallop. Makes reaching the mag release much easier.

Love the gun so far and have worked it into my carry schedule. Carrying it right now actually.

Definitely looking forward to this. I was recently offered a TRP on a swap, and it was quite difficult to turn down.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    My Gen 2 SIGARMS GSR XO (and its workovers by the SIG Custom shop), follower by observing the issues a friend of mine has had with his, which he bought brand-new, have cured me of any desire for a TRP. While the potential is there, they seem to require a lot of massaging...

Of course, in your hands, Bill, I'm quite sure that all will turn out exceptionally well.

Best, Jon
    Judging from experiences like yours and similar ones I have heard about, and my own experiences, maybe for the rest of us that are not wizards with a machine shop, we should be looking towards the Springfield Professional?

My first centerfire pistol was a 1911, a Dan Wesson commander that has been a nightmare for its lack of accuracy, reliability, and properly fitted parts from the factory (I'll have it sorted out, someday...).

But I'm starting to come around to the point where I could see owning a 1911 if it were hand fitted properly by smith that knew what they were doing with 1911s, after having handled and fired a few 1911s that were well made and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    Judging from experiences like yours and similar ones I have heard about, and my own experiences, maybe for the rest of us that are not wizards with a machine shop, we should be looking towards the Springfield Professional?

My first centerfire pistol was a 1911, a Dan Wesson commander that has been a nightmare for its lack of accuracy, reliability, and properly fitted parts from the factory (I'll have it sorted out, someday...).

But I'm starting to come around to the point where I could see owning a 1911 if it were hand fitted properly by smith that knew what they were doing with 1911s, after having handled and fired a few 1911s that were well made and accurate.
    Professionals are great, but are in totally different price points. That said, my TRP hasn't had any issues.

It's just a range/BBQ gun for me, as a full size steel frame 1911 with magwell is a little large and heavy for regular carry for me.

User Tag List