Thread: Colt Defender 9mm question.

Colt Defender 9mm question.

I think like everyone here I enjoyed reading about Todd's SA 1911 9mm experience.

I ran across a barely used Colt Defender in 9mm for $650. I usually prefer full size 1911s and since this might be my first 1911 pattern gun in 9mm I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the platform. While I'm very comfortable with the full sized guns, I have zero experience with the subcompacts in that platform, especially one chambered in 9.

Thoughts?

The further you stray from a full size (5") 1911 in .45 ACP, the more difficult it is to make them run reliably.
    Dave Berryhill

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    The further you stray from a full size (5") 1911 in .45 ACP, the more difficult it is to make them run reliably.
    Dave, thanks.

I get that, and from personal experience with the platform agree. I guess my question should have been, do the same considerations apply if the gun is chambered in 9mm?

Yes, due to the shorter cartridge length and lower recoil
    Dave Berryhill

The biggest issues with the 9x19 1911 variants are the magazines and getting the correct recoil spring for the load. The Defender, with its lighter slide, is actually a bit easier to get the recoil spring selected than the five-inch 9x19 1911. 9x19 does not have the momentum push to get the slide to cycle as quickly as the .45 ACP does. Many people will complain than five-inch 9x19 1911s cycle slowly compared to the .45 ACP variants. I have three five-inch 9x19 1911s and each has a different recoil spring weight in it, varying from 10 to 12 pounds. For magazines, watch out for followers that can tear into the ally frame ramp. At least that was the issue on the non-ramped .45 ACP, so it should be an issue on the 9x19 guns as well as Colt does not use ramped 9x19 barrels.

Yes, due to the shorter cartridge length and lower recoil
    Ah, the light dawns, many thanks.

User Tag List