Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 barrels. Ramped .45. Why?

1911 barrels. Ramped .45. Why?

I noticed that a lot of .45 guns that STI does use ramped barrels.

Why? What benefits does it have over a non ramped barrel in .45? (Which I thought was more reliable.)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

I'd say it's most likely that they mainly make 9 and .40 guns, so they're just used to ramped barrels. It's easier and cheaper to have one thing that works, and you know how to set it up, than two things.

I agree with what Haraise said. I would also say that from a manufacturing or procurement standpoint, using frames designed to accept ramped barrels would be more economical that using multiple frames based on ramped or non-ramped barrels.

Interesting question. I hope Bill weighs in on this one.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    I agree with what Haraise said. I would also say that from a manufacturing or procurement standpoint, using frames designed to accept ramped barrels would be more economical that using multiple frames based on ramped or non-ramped barrels.
    This. All of the 1911 and 2011 pistols that STI builds in Texas use a ramped barrel.
    Dave Berryhill

Everybody loves the 1911, but very few of its salient features - like the trigger, link, bushing and interrupted feed ramp - are used on much of anything else. If you're going to change a bunch of other stuff about the gun, why not go to a one piece feedramp? It is more likely to feed better.

I'm going to go with better case support for those who want to wind the ol' ACP up.

Better feeding? Buy a Wilson.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    This. All of the 1911 and 2011 pistols that STI builds in Texas use a ramped barrel.
    Do you rate the ramped barrel design inferior, superior or equal assuming quality construction to the original design?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hilton Yam:

Here are the basic specifications to examine for a duty 1911:

•Full sized Government Model 1911 format with 5" barrel length and steel frame for increased reliability and durability.
    •Chambered in .45 ACP, as that is the caliber in which the gun was designed and functions best. The greatest number of magazine options are available in .45 ACP.
    •Standard Browning barrel without integral feed ramp. Ramped barrels have very steep feed ramps that don't feed well. Hollowpoints can also catch at the bottom of the integral ramp, creating further feeding issues.
    •Standard milspec short recoil spring guide rod and plug.
    •Recoil spring rating of 17-18.5 lbs to improve durability with full power duty loads.
    •Availability of ambidextrous safety for left handed users.
    •Type of firing pin safety system, if any. See below for further.
    •Light rail or standard dust cover.
    •Type of finish.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...-Duty-Use.html
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by RX-79G View Post
    ....why not go to a one piece feedramp? It is more likely to feed better.
    Negatory good buddy. The nose of a .45 bullet strikes the frame's feed ramp lower than you think. Even lower if it's a big hollowpoint and especially the first round out of an 8-round magazine. This point of impact can be lower than the barrel's integral feed ramp plus the ramp on an integral feed ramp is steeper than the frame's feed ramp on the original design.

If you look closely at the feed ramp on an STI .45 pistol you may see that the mag well area surrounding the barrel's integral feed ramp has been "ramped" or blended to help direct any wayward bullet into the feed ramp.
    Dave Berryhill

User Tag List