Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Salient G41 Tier 2

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post

Taran Tactical OTOH has become a major player on the competition scene. And they exploded out of no where.
    I want one.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If we go by the numbers an NAA Mini-mag with no training behind it will do just fine 99% of the time. Anyone who spends more than one of those and the cost of a box of ammo is wasting their money.

Is Salient doing any sort of strange voodoo magic that shops like ATEI or Zevtech aren't doing? Nope. Are they more expensive than some of their competitors? Yup. Should everyone go out and buy one? Not at all.

Do the modifications they perform offer any significant performance advantages compared to the stock versions of the pistols they modify? In my opinion based off of having, you know, actually shot one for 20,000+ rounds (anyone else here even put 500 rounds through one? How about 100? 10? Show of hands?) I'd say yes there are some serious performance gains to be had for even intermediate shooters. Once again, just based off of actually having shot one...

BTW, news flash, I bought the smurfing (omg a curse word, INFRACTION) gun I sent them, then donated the resulting only one in existence prototype to be auctioned off for charity. After that gun raised $6,500 for military charities I spent another $2,200 of my money to buy another one of their products because I wanted to and because I have faith in their products after having put 25,000 rounds through one. I don't have a business relationship with SAI and have never been paid by them at all, let alone to say nice things about their gun. I guess what I'm trying to say, I resent the hell out of the several veiled implications earlier in the thread that I'm somehow SAI'd bought and paid for whore...

On another side note, Funny Todd is brought up. He actually asked me for SAI's contact info to enquire about sending them a slide before his most recent run of ill health. But hey, what does he know about setting up a gun to shoot well?

Also speaking of Todd, I can say I'm genuinely ashamed to have participated in this thread at all once everyone, myself included, started getting stupid. It's heartbreaking to see the forum he started taken over by douche-baggery on a level so profound that most of the industry acquaintances I have who actually possess an opinion based off fact and experience privately express their reluctance to participate here anymore.

This thread should have been shut down or redirected a page or two ago. Hopefully the mods will now direct themselves off their collective asses and kill this monstrosity.

It's been fun participating here over the years, but I can honestly say I'm done. This ship went plaid awhile ago, I guess it's finally time to admit it and seek greener pastures.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 05-05-2014 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Profanity
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    If we go by the numbers an NAA Mini-mag with no training behind it will do just fine 99% of the time. Anyone who spends more than one of those and the cost of a box of ammo is wasting their money.

Is Salient doing any sort of strange voodoo magic that shops like ATEI or Zevtech aren't doing? Nope. Are they more expensive than some of their competitors? Yup. Should everyone go out and buy one? Not at all.

Do the modifications they perform offer any significant performance advantages compared to the stock versions of the pistols they modify? In my opinion based off of having, you know, actually shot one for 20,000+ rounds (anyone else here even put 500 rounds through one? How about 100? 10? Show of hands?) I'd say yes there are some serious performance gains to be had for even intermediate shooters. Once again, just based off of actually having shot one...

BTW, news flash, I bought the fucking (omg a curse word, INFRACTION) gun I sent them, then donated the resulting only one in existence prototype to be auctioned off for charity. After that gun raised $6,500 for military charities I spent another $2,200 of my money to buy another one of their products because I wanted to and because I have faith in their products after having put 25,000 rounds through one. I don't have a business relationship with SAI and have never been paid by them at all, let alone to say nice things about their gun. I guess what I'm trying to say, I resent the hell out of the several veiled implications earlier in the thread that I'm somehow SAI'd bought and paid for whore...

On another side note, Funny Todd is brought up. He actually asked me for SAI's contact info to enquire about sending them a slide before his most recent run of ill health. But hey, what does he know about setting up a gun to shoot well?

Also speaking of Todd, I can say I'm genuinely ashamed to have participated in this thread at all once everyone, myself included, started getting stupid. It's heartbreaking to see the forum he started taken over by douche-baggery on a level so profound that most of the industry acquaintances I have who actually possess an opinion based off fact and experience privately express their reluctance to participate here anymore.

This thread should have been shut down or redirected a page or two ago. Hopefully the mods will now direct themselves off their collective asses and kill this monstrosity.

It's been fun participating here over the years, but I can honestly say I'm done. This ship went plaid awhile ago, I guess it's finally time to admit it and seek greener pastures.
    Did I miss something? I thought everyone had been pretty civil with one or two exceptions. We're all big boys here aren't we? No reason to get mad, we can all have opinions without getting emotionally invested. No ones saying you can't like it. I honestly hope it works great for you and you have a blast with it. I also hope you don't mind if I or someone else sees things differently. Like I said we can still be friends, said sincerely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post

BTW, news flash, I bought the fucking (omg a curse word, INFRACTION) gun I sent them, then donated the resulting only one in existence prototype to be auctioned off for charity. After that gun raised $6,500 for military charities I spent another $2,200 of my money to buy another one of their products because I wanted to and because I have faith in their products after having put 25,000 rounds through one. I don't have a business relationship with SAI and have never been paid by them at all, let alone to say nice things about their gun. I guess what I'm trying to say, I resent the hell out of the several veiled implications earlier in the thread that I'm somehow SAI'd bought and paid for whore...

It's a sad thing to hear, but understandable given the pride people show towards getting by with the least common denominator, the vitrol towards anyone that might want anything more than the bare minimum. I deal with it by replacing any mention of a (bare minimum cheapest produced gun that is very likely to go bang when you want) with 2003 automatic Toyota Corolla. The 'money wasted,' the 'I wasn't aware it didn't work,' that 'you're deluding yourself because it still does the same thing...' All rings the same as someone with a rusty Geo Metro ripping on some guy in the Mercedes that just pulled up to them might say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't criticize anyone who wants one, we can all have our own opinions. If you have no debt, you're retirement fund is solidly on track, and the kids are well cared for, you can get a gold plated toilet for all I care. My observation is just that I don't think you will ever see any real performance return for your investment. If you just like the way it looks that's cool, me personally am not a fan of the gold barrel, reminds me of 22's on a late 80's Buick, or jewelry on men. There's nothing wrong with it, just not for me. I understand it's the color of the super finish, but I wasn't aware that the stock Toyota parts wasn't getting the job done. I also say this because I am about halfway through my career and I realize how much money I wasted on chasing better hardware when a stock 2003 automatic Toyota Corolla would have gotten the job done for $1425......which after all the money I spent is where I have landed. I hope my cautionary tale can save allot of money for those 22 year olds who were where I was when just starting out, because I've seen plenty of them drop cash they didn't have because the internet said they needed too. I know that probably isn't the guys on this thread who have Salients so don't take it that way. Tell you what, if Todd or DockGKR shot them back to back with Todd's 2003 automatic Toyota Corolla or HK P30 and saw a substantial performance advantage, something that would impact the results of a gunfight, I certainly would change my tune. Just like one of my buddies drops $250 to $300 for a pair of jeans and I wait for sales and drop $20-30. Neither one of us is wrong, we just see things differently. I think $300 for a pair of jeans is ridiculous, he thinks me being cheap and spending $20 is ridiculous because his will last longer. We're all able to have an opinion and we can still be friends.
    300$ jeans aren't usually about lasting longer, nor are almost any expensive clothes. Sometimes people want to wear what makes them look or feel good, and not just the cheapest sack cloth which will 'get the job done.'

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    It's a sad thing to hear, but understandable given the pride people show towards getting by with the least common denominator, the vitrol towards anyone that might want anything more than the bare minimum. I deal with it by replacing any mention of a (bare minimum cheapest produced gun that is very likely to go bang when you want) with 2003 automatic Toyota Corolla. The 'money wasted,' the 'I wasn't aware it didn't work,' that 'you're deluding yourself because it still does the same thing...' All rings the same as someone with a rusty Geo Metro ripping on some guy in the Mercedes that just pulled up to them might say.

300$ jeans aren't usually about lasting longer, nor are almost any expensive clothes. Sometimes people want to wear what makes them look or feel good, and not just the cheapest sack cloth which will 'get the job done.'
    Pretty good argument for an 03 Corolla, I actually have an 01 Civic for that reason, plus the whole retirement college savings thing. my wife drives the nice car. I will say in about 10 years I will probably get a nice car at which point I will be the first to say it's not doing anything better hen the Civic. And that's okay too.

Pretty good argument for an 03 Corolla, I actually have an 01 Civic for that reason, plus the whole retirement college savings thing. my wife drives the nice car. I will say in about 10 years I will probably get a nice car at which point I will be the first to say it's not doing anything better hen the Civic. And that's okay too.
    Yeah. It would be the same train of thought. I'll give you points for internal consistency. More if you only sleep on twenty year old goodwill mattresses since they get the job done. More yet if you only eat bulk bagged rice because it keeps you from dying just as well, with a multivitamin. There have been plenty of cultures without any of the fripperies you're against, and it was kept that way. No expensive toilet paper, not too much food to eat. Just what people need, was the standard. What got the job done. Of course, they drove Ladas instead, if they could. Most people got the job done by walking to pick up the potatoes instead. It's a cultural difference. Need versus fulfillment. And I'd be fine with people only doing what they need to do, to not die, if people with bourgeoise excess could be left out of it.

Not sure if spectacularly missing the point, or doggedly pushing on in the same direction regardless of what people say.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

I don't think anyone is asking you, assuming you're the bourgeoise in your example, to do without or somehow trying to stop you from buying what you want, I was just expressing my opinion and you were expressing yours. Which is totally cool and I don't think anyone should be offended by it. We just see things differently, that's okay, I don't begrudge you your opinion or choices and I'm sure you don't begrudge me mine, as Tupac once said, "I ain't mad at cha." I enjoy robust and differing opinions......it's something that may not be unique to America, but is certainly a wonderful central core to our character. Let the opinions continue without any hurt feelings.

[QUOTE=TheTrevor;220105]Not sure if spectacularly missing the point

Toyota's are actually a great example, in many ways they are better built then Mercedes, basing that on reliability ratings, but you'd probably be more willing to drop big money on a Mercedes for upgrades then a Toyota. Kind of like Glock vs 1911 for upgrades . Like I said before, my point isn't that anyone's wrong to get a Mercedes over a Corolla, I'd rather have a Mercedes my self. It's just a cost benefit analysis that everyone has to do for themselves. I'm not saying there is a right or wrong answer, we each just have our own opinion.

I would say I think the better example would be is it worth it to spend $18k for a Corolla and the turn around and ship it off to a tuner and drop $126k on it. Glock in many ways is the Honda/Toyota, relatively economical, very reliable and well engineered. Doesn't have the best performance, but the performance it gives you is more then adequate to get the job done and it's among the most reliable out there. Come to think of it many hsld guys I know carry Glocks and drive Toyota's (trucks mostly). Something like Haraise's 1911/2011 (which is a very nice gun) does seem more understandable for heavy mods, but I agree it's a personal choice and I'm not saying anyone can't make their own call, or that I'd try and talk them out of their choice. You could tell me right now that you think carrying a stock Glock 17 (like I do excepting sights) is unwise as it's likely to be insufficient for duty use for whatever reason and I can promise I won't get mad at you, I wouldn't agree, but there won't be any emotional turmoil for me over it. I hope people extend me the same grace without taking opposing viewpoints personally. Wouldn't be much of a forum if we all thought the same anyways.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-03-2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Errors

Salient G41 Tier 2

In this thread it seems like the Metro driver would tell a Mercedes driver his car sucks but would oogle over a Camaro. He'd probably tell the Mercedes driver what he should buy too, and that he should go to a driving school rather than waste his money on things the Metro driver can't comprehend.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List