Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: AR 15 Twist Rates

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I find the trigger talk on this thread rather interesting--mostly from a "different tools for different jobs" angle. I shoot Highpower seriously, and the opinions on triggers are *very* different in that game. The Geissele is still the gold standard (the National Match version), but the Rock River NM (2-stage) trigger has a pretty good reputation, too. At least, for a "if you're not going to shell out for a Geissele" alternative. I shot out a few barrels with one before switching over to a Geissele.
    Do you know how many rounds you fired when you shot out a few barrels with a RRA two stage trigger?

WOLFIE, did you ever make a decision and purchase?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    WOLFIE, did you ever make a decision and purchase?
    I have not. I am leaning toward the DD V7 mil spec plus 556. I like the black and (is it bronze?) two tone color scheme. I think the DD 1 in 7 twist will shoot 62 grain bullets very well and 55 grain bullets well enough for practice / competition. I currently have a RRA Operator which I have had for some time and it has a 1 in 9 twist rate. So far there has been no problems with the standard two stage trigger. ALG Defense, the sister company of Geissle, makes a single stage trigger with coated parts that has my attention. I do lack experience with rifles but do not with handguns and the trigger pull is important to me as it is with many people on this excellent forum. The BCM rifle with the light rail is intriging.

I have the ALG trigger and like it.

The new BCM handguards are the way to go.
    #RESIST

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

AR 15 Twist Rates

I have both ALG triggers. The non coated trigger is pretty much a good stock trigger. It is about as good as you can expect an AR trigger from the factory. A little creep and a little grit, but overall usable. Going to try a JP spring kit in it. It still takes a back seat to the stock triggers that came on my M&P15 and Sig516.

The coated trigger on the other hand is amazing! A little creep, but smooth as glass with a nice rolling carrot break. I paired it with a JP spring kit and it is honestly the best trigger I have. I've been shooting it in my A2 that I use for my clubs service rifle matches. If I was going to standardize on an affordable trigger across all my guns - this would be the one. Well worth the extra $10 over the non-coated ALG.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    I have not. I am leaning toward the DD V7 mil spec plus 556. I like the black and (is it bronze?) two tone color scheme. I think the DD 1 in 7 twist will shoot 62 grain bullets very well and 55 grain bullets well enough for practice / competition. I currently have a RRA Operator which I have had for some time and it has a 1 in 9 twist rate. So far there has been no problems with the standard two stage trigger. ALG Defense, the sister company of Geissle, makes a single stage trigger with coated parts that has my attention. I do lack experience with rifles but do not with handguns and the trigger pull is important to me as it is with many people on this excellent forum. The BCM rifle with the light rail is intriging.

I would HIGHLY encourage you to pass on the Daniel Defense carbine.

Out of the sample size of 8 (?) that I have inspected/fired/used I think 5 or 6 had serious issues with the build quality, ranging from improperly installed barrels, improperly install front sight bases, out of spec uppers, and out of spec lowers.

Wolfie,
    Around 2500-3000 per barrel, (I think my old databooks are packed away, in preparation for a move) plus at least as much dry fire.

WOLFIE, now be the time to buy another AR15. There's a splendid selection of ARs available at low prices. Mags are cheap and readily had.
    #RESIST

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I would HIGHLY encourage you to pass on the Daniel Defense carbine.

Out of the sample size of 8 (?) that I have inspected/fired/used I think 5 or 6 had serious issues with the build quality, ranging from improperly installed barrels, improperly install front sight bases, out of spec uppers, and out of spec lowers.
    WOW!

I'll admit that I don't spend any time over at the Carbine/Rifle boards anymore but this is a shock to me as I was under the understanding that DD rifles were considered Tier One rifles. Is this a recent problem?

User Tag List