Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Whats the MINIMUM number of guns one should own?

How big is your gun safe/vault and how many of them do you have? Guns multiply to fill the available safe space. When you have too many handguns, tupperware containers are an efficient way of packing handguns into a smaller space. Each plastic container should only hold the same brand. As you rotate, for example, from Sig to Beretta to CZ, you just restack the plastic containers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I think the minimum is zero, and that there would potentially be situations where that's the best number of guns to have.
    Huh?

A good minimum is two for each member of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    If forced to name the minimum I would accept: I'd take one high-quality, high-reliability gun that I can shoot well over a whole safe full of guns which run great right up until they don't.
    If forced to name the minimum I would accept................I would not accept an imposed number. Whether it be a requirement that everyone own at least one firearm, or the opposite, that you can only own one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I think the minimum is zero, and that there would potentially be situations where that's the best number of guns to have.

I think this is a good answer. Whenever anyone I know who doesn't have firearms asks me about buying firearms, I always say, "It's a personal decision." Having a firearm is a right but there's also a lot of responsibility that comes with it. If that person isn't going to be adequately trained with it, at least in basic safety, they shouldn't have a gun -- it's not going to protect them and it's just a liability to them and those around them. (I'm not saying the government should mandate training).
    Also, I think there are times in some people's lives that they shouldn't have them (I'm not saying the government should dictate those times). Maybe the person has severe depression, or is living in a house full of roommates who aren't particularly responsible, and they can't adequately keep it secured. (I lived in houses like that back in college).

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Huh?
    Idahojess covered this well IMO.

You can make arguments like "what this person needs is a gun and training and a safe and psychiatric care and a support network of caring friends and better parenting skills and a girlfriend" but I don't find those arguments especially convincing.

Not every situation is improved through the addition of a gun.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I like to think of guns as being like friends. While I to not absolutely have to have a friend, I feel better when I have some good friends close.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    42 is the answer.
    And make sure you always know where your towel is (non-nerds: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy).

My vote? Solid semi-auto pistol and a revolver. And a towel, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    If forced to name the minimum I would accept................I would not accept an imposed number. Whether it be a requirement that everyone own at least one firearm, or the opposite, that you can only own one.
    Fair point. I was trying to play along with the thought exercise, but my previous answer is BS. My actual reaction to such a proposition would be more along the lines of "Kitten you, I do what I want."
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

User Tag List