Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA and Domestic Violence Gun Laws

NRA and Domestic Violence Gun Laws

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5191555.html

Why keep it quiet? (Trying to keep from upsetting their members?)
    I would think that would help to generate good PR.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

A very real issue I have seen with "domestic violence" is the number of people who routinely get restraining orders against the other half of the divorce proceedings just to jack with them, or their lawyer tells the client that it's "routine".

We have had guys at work stuck on unarmed light duty assignments, because they could not legally carry a gun, due being under a restraining order, even though there was zero PC for them to be under such an order.

TROs are entered as a matter of course in divorce proceedings around here. A lot of lawyers don't tell their clients that they can't possess firearms as a result.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    (Trying to keep from upsetting their members?)
    Do you think it's a good thing to enable a disgruntled soon-to-be-ex spouse to suspend your 2A rights, however temporarily?

For a convicted abuser, I doubt anyone at NRA would have any reservations. I certainly wouldn't.
    But to lose your rights (even temporarily) based on an accusation that has been, in many instances, baseless?

That whole "erring on the side of caution" thing has been used as an excuse for many unpleasant takings... "it's for the children" comes to mind.

The NRA asked Schoen to make a few changes, one of which gave alleged abusers the option to turn their guns over to a friend or family member instead.

Once Schoen made the alterations, he said, the group became more agreeable.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    A very real issue I have seen with "domestic violence" is the number of people who routinely get restraining orders against the other half of the divorce proceedings just to jack with them, or their lawyer tells the client that it's "routine".

We have had guys at work stuck on unarmed light duty assignments, because they could not legally carry a gun, due being under a restraining order, even though there was zero PC for them to be under such an order.

I have seen a ton of this as well. I have no issues with convicted abusers in the box, or even those who have permanent orders where the judge orders no firearms with some kind of cause. For the TRO thing where it is often part of the "divorce process", I have some issues due to the abuse I have seen from refereeing these things for years.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Do you think it's a good thing to enable a disgruntled soon-to-be-ex spouse to suspend your 2A rights, however temporarily?
    For a convicted abuser, I doubt anyone at NRA would have any reservations. I certainly wouldn't.
    But to lose your rights (even temporarily) based on an accusation that has been, in many instances, baseless?
    That whole "erring on the side of caution" thing has been used as an excuse for many unpleasant takings... "it's for the children" comes to mind.
    No, I don't think it's a good thing for unjust restraining orders, but I have seen some divorce verbal fights where I was thinking: "Neither of these people should have a gun or a knife on them..."

The problem you seem to be identifying is a judicial issue where courts/lawyers can't adjudicate whether there is a real and substantial risk or not. If the courts were able to fairly adjudicate the restraining order, would you still be opposed?

Also, I am still baffled by the NRA position on this. What are they thinkinig?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    The problem you seem to be identifying is a judicial issue where courts/lawyers can't adjudicate whether there is a real and substantial risk or not. If the courts were able to fairly adjudicate the restraining order, would you still be opposed?
    Do I trust a NYC/NJ/CA/Chicago Judge to seek out the facts before suspending my 2A rights after my divorcing wifes attorney requests a RO against me?

No

http://ancpr.com/domestic_violations...n%20Encouraged
    At a 1995 seminar, dispensing advice to incoming municipal judges, Judge Richard Russell of the Ocean City, New Jersey, municipal court declared, "Your job is not to become concerned about the constitutional rights of the man that you're violating as you grant a restraining order. Throw him out on the street, give him the clothes on his back and tell him, see ya around....The woman needs this protection because the statute granted her that protection.... They have declared domestic violence to be an evil in our society. So we don't have to worry about the rights."
    Feel free to google "false restraining order" and see how frequently it happens.

Also, I am still baffled by the NRA position on this. What are they thinkinig?
    Cody
    See above.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

This was initiated by the claims of an ex wife.
    #RESIST

The Huff-Po is an extreme left wing publication. Nothing that the NRA will ever do (or fail to do) will be framed in a positive manner.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Considering that TROs are handed out on a pro forma basis in many courts, oftentimes to both parties, this is a bad idea.

We just had a high-profile murder/suicide here in Indianapolis; both parties were officers in the IMPD. Both had been put on administrative leave and had been relieved of their duty weapons. He found another one and walked right through that restraining order like it was made of paper, killing her and then himself.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List