Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a dedicated round count log?

I have an excel spreadsheet where I track shots fired, maintenance, malfunctions, and any other notes. It's terribly OCD.

The dividing line between good record keeping and OCD is knowing the exact number of shots fired through the gun when something notable happened vs +/- 10 or so.

If I record an event it's rounded off to the nearest ten. Beyond that it's more like accounting or running a QA program than shooting, IMHO.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    Now that I belong to a proper (not square) range I may incorporate this into my log also.

Mike
    I find it very useful in all situations, even working a lane on an indoor range. Enables me to review targets for trends in group center, flyers, etc over time in a repeatable fashion.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

+1 to Rangelog.com
    I guess I'm OCD to an extent since I also track trigger presses during dry fire on my weapons, mainly since I do not yet have duplicates for my carry guns.

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

I tear off the flap or portion of an ammo box that has brand/weight/type on it, write down date and which gun fired that box on the back, and throw it in the range bag. If I have rounds left in a box, keep the box, mark which gun that's dedicated to for the next time I shoot that gun.

I'll clean out box-tops from the bag maybe every fiscal quarter or so (or at random idle moments), and separate box-tops by whichever gun's marked on them. Each gun has it's own round-count 3x5 RITR notebook, where I'll annotate Weight, Brand/Type, Amount, Date. Each page after the first has an Amount Forwarded box at the top, and a Page Amount box at the bottom. Amount Forward + Page Amount = Amount Forwarded of the next new page.

I'm mostly concerned with keeping track of rounds for maintenance purposes, so I track either 3500 or 5000 round intervals, depending upon which gun, what it's being fed, under what conditions, and note when old parts are replaced with new in the round-counts.

If I've any doubt about whether I've lost track of an interval, I'll default to swapping out parts on GP, note it, and restart the interval from there. The goal is simply best-possible PMCS, so this all probably reads as being more involved and complicated than it really is...

Events/malfunctions, I'll note on the 4x6 Green Monster I keep in my range bag to keep track of practice/training, and note the troubleshooting conducted, if applicable....

When I was doing reviews I did, because I believed that was part of what people were paying me, or giving me free stuff, to do.

Now that I don't do that anymore, I can't be bothered, and think it's largely overrated.

If I was still interested in regular practice I would keep records of times and scores for standard drills, but thankfully various competition venues exist where they will have classifieds that do that for me where all I have to do is show up and shoot.

I don't carry my range pistols, and see the rifle as a big expensive toy (and even I have a fantasy gun front and center in the safe for when pixies and fairies come invade my home and need to be met with 56 rounds of suppressed .223), so I'm unconcerned with having one fail.

Is this too nuts?
    There's a backing spreadsheet that has all the raw data that log generates.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    I also use a spreadsheet. I like knowing the round count so I can re-spring a gun when it's due, I also like knowing the round count on parts when they break.

hufnagel - I like your sheet for folks that shoot factory ammo, but I don't think it'd work that well for a reloader who tracks powder charges and other component changes.

JV: not being a reloader (yet? ever? who knows.) my suggestion would be to assign some kind self-generated part # to your custom rounds.
    'jv9 34tg 124x' for example. I'm sure if I knew what I was doing (with regards to reloads) I could tweak it somehow.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I think I might be in the wrong forum.

I clean our Glocks every July, whether they need it or not. I have a medium USPS Flat Rate box full of fired primers. I could count them but I don't know what gun they were fired through.

I did go so far as to do a 2000 round test on one of my Glock 17s, but it seemed so tedious to me that I never did it again.

If I'm shooting a revolver, I brush the chambers before a match. I might put a drop of oil on the cylinder once or twice a year.

I'm too old to change now.

User Tag List