Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a dedicated round count log?

When I was shooting High Power rifle I kept a log. On Pistols? Never have. Like many here I have a safe full of firearms, but most of them only get taken out to the range on occasion. I have a couple of handguns and rifles that are "for serious" that get shot on a weekly basis. Ninety nine percent of my shooting is done with hand loads and bullets come in boxes of five hundred. I just keep a rough count of the number of boxes used with each gun and it helps me keep up on maintenance intervals. I've never felt the need to get any more complicated than that. I also hate to reload. I do it because I like to shoot so it's a necessary evil. Once I find a load that works well in a given firearm I tend not to change it. Powder shortages in the last few years have caused me to experiment more than ever, so I do keep a list of appropriate loads in each caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Oh, trust me, I know. If money were plentiful, I would not reload.

I'm loading ammo from component stashes from years ago...
    Ditto. I had a healthy severance check (representing unused accumulated sick & annual leave) when I retired in 2007, and I bought… a lot… of primers, powder and bullets. Mainly primers and powder; I've had to replenish the burrets a couple of times since, but still have plenty of primers and powder from that initial batch. I have no idea of the cost-per-unit for the four calibers I load; it is what it is, the money is long spent, and just knowing my costs are substantially less than if I was buying stuff today is good enough for me.

As for the OP's question…. I used to keep detailed logs. After retiring, it simply didn't seem that important anymore, so I stopped. I have at least two identical examples of the several "serious" guns I carry/keep handy for HD, so if one should break I'll just unlimber the spare and then see about getting the broken one fixed.

Mind you, I am in no way minimizing the log-keeping business; it is useful, and I should still be doing it. But one of my son-in-laws paid me a back-handed compliment once that I treasure; he told my baby girl "Since he retired, your dad has an excellent grasp on the finer points of sloth."

Indeed…

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    "Since he retired, your dad has an excellent grasp on the finer points of sloth.

Excellent!! I think I might have had a grasp on it before I retired.

I used to, and then I stopped. I noticed that me stopping coincided with me not improving as a shooter, so I started again. Keeping a round count log pretty easily turns into a performance journal.

Precision rifles, yes. Without fail.

Everything else I shoot until it breaks, or I notice a part needs replaced. On my go to pistol and go to carbine, I know when either starts acting silly. Mostly by "feel", or other indicators. I've broken enough of each of them to know what those symptoms tend to be. I'd rather spend my limited free time bouncing the kid on my knee than plugging data into a spreadsheet that I will not look at again. I just don't find collecting or collating data entertaining or useful enough for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Freedom Munitions
    No beefs with the ammo itself. 4k so far, and the reman is startlingly good, though you'll see your groups open up @ distance compared to most baseline factory new ammo. No real surprise...

....but they're sssssllllllloooooowwwwww. Like, stupid-slow. Every order I've done has taken it's comparative sweet time, but the most recent order, a case of 9mm 124gr new-made ball, was made on 4 April, when they showed 168 cases in stock. Rec'd shipping notification TEN days later, and the thing's not slated to arrive until Friday. I've ordered and received 3 other cases from other companies in that at time-frame, two of which came from distances near enough as makes no difference.

May end up being worth an extra $.01-.02/round to know each one isn't being hand-rolled between the thighs of LBFMs before being delivered by Pony damned Express.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    No beefs with the ammo itself. 4k so far, and the reman is startlingly good, though you'll see your groups open up @ distance compared to most baseline factory new ammo. No real surprise...

....but they're sssssllllllloooooowwwwww. Like, stupid-slow. Every order I've done has taken it's comparative sweet time, but the most recent order, a case of 9mm 124gr new-made ball, was made on 4 April, when they showed 168 cases in stock. Rec'd shipping notification TEN days later, and the thing's not slated to arrive until Friday. I've ordered and received 3 other cases from other companies in that at time-frame, two of which came from distances near enough as makes no difference.

May end up being worth an extra $.01-.02/round to know each one isn't being hand-rolled between the thighs of LBFMs before being delivered by Pony damned Express.
    I've had a number of issues with Freedom Munitions.

About two years ago I purchased a couple of cases of Freedom Munitions with no issues, except that the 147gr FMJs results in a weird horizontal POI shift that I haven't seen with any other 9mm load.

About a year ago I purchased another couple of cases of Freedom Munitions. With this ammo I had a failure to fire rate in excess of 1% during a Bob Vogel class, this coming from a gun that had less than 5 stoppages in the previous 15,000 rounds. I gauged the remaining ammo (approximately 750 rounds) after the class, and 37 rounds that wouldn't pass the EGW case gauge, some really really bad failures. So I am guessing that it held the gun out of battery enough that I could release the striker, but not enough that it successfully went off. I called Freedom and returned the 37 bad rounds and they sent me 150 rounds as replacement that had no issues.

Well a couple of months ago I decided to give them another shot. I ordered 4 cases of Freedom 9mm remans. During the first two cases I had three issues of stove pipes with a round that sounded like a squib (but wasn't based on a barrel check). The remaining two cases had zero issues. Though 3 out of 4,000 rounds isn't a whole lot, after my past issues I would be very wary of ordering Freedom for anything but range blasting ammo.

Yes, sort of. On my match guns (rifle included) I log a variety of things, my rifle I log all the data I can, targets used, hits, weather, altitude etc, my pistols I keep track of rounds fired, malfunctions, repairs/maintenance and drill results when doing specific drills or training. I will also log match results if I know them and have the log book handy, otherwise I just note the match and how I think I did. I do look back on the data from time to time, either to see how long a gun has run since it's last cleaning or parts repair, or to see my times on a drill. If I was a bit more techy I'd probably run a database or spreadsheet, but that sounds like more work than I'm interested in doing.
    edited to add: I also log all my reloading data in the gun logs as well as my own reloading log by my presses. This includes charge and bullet weight, OAL and chrono info as well as performance.
    My non match guns I used to, but found I just didn't care. Shame really, as I am curious as to how many rounds some of them have through them.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Yes. I use HK's "weapon record book" for my more commonly used pistols, it's small (4.0x5.5 inches) with a logical layout including a column for cumulative round count, and they only cost $2 each. For a few other guns that only infrequently come out of the safe I just record the same info on sheets of paper and keep it in a file folder.

Google Drive spreadsheet with one function. Super simple.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

User Tag List