Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used HK p30

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A half dozen, although initially I only got five back. Found the sixth under his sofa. You get what you pay for with HK trigger work.
    Yes, I remember from a few years ago, over on Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A half dozen, although initially I only got five back. Found the sixth under his sofa. You get what you pay for with HK trigger work.
    Would that be the HK smith who is NOT Bruce Gray who pulled that stunt? And you sent him six guns? Ouch.

I came -><- thisclose to sending him an HK to work on but my spidey-sense kept telling me that something wasn't quite right. It just seemed too inexpensive to cover good parts and proper time/care invested in the job considering what Gray Guns is charging for HK action jobs.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Trying LEM, finally?
    Blasphemy. DA/SA because the internet said it's hard.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I carry a v4/TGS LEM with heavy FPBS and love it for that purpose -- but I found myself wishing mightily for a TDA P30L with a light hammer spring and/or a Gray Guns action job when shooting The Test at Rogers this past week. Right tool, right job and all that.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by imp1295 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on what issues to look for in a used P30?

I realize the normal characteristics of burrs, whether or not it's been used or dropped excessively etc. Beyond knowing that Todd ran the snot out of one and Darryl is a big fan I am just wondering if there is anything special to keep an eye out for?

Thanks ahead of time
    The area on the inside of a slide where barrel hood contacts it gets bright and shiny faster than with any other gun that I know. It is a normal wear.

I wouldn't care about springs' condition as I would replace them right off, especially trigger return spring. But, as mentioned above, I'd be sure nobody other than GGI touched internals.

Wiggle of right slide release lever is absolutely normal.

You can say how much it's been used by grip texture. Out of box the panels are mildly abrasive. Mine are baby smooth...

Minimal side to side slide play is normal, but there usually is no vertical play.

Backstraps don't always fit seamlessly, that's OK too.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    No arguments, here. I had my P226 out today just for comparison against my P30 V1, was relatively even. I ran the FAM TPC on each.

I actually picked up a 45c LEM for S&G and it is great. I passed the iHack on the second mag and enjoy it very much.
    Taking a break from social media.

Pretty much covered in the thread. I have bought several used P30's with very few issues. One had the firing pin spring cut in half by a previous owner improperly installing it. I bought that from a gunshop, but it was such a smoking deal that it was fine. Most of the used P30's I have found to be very low round count and practically new. I am sure many of those are from folks who bought them, had a lousy first time out with them coming off a Glock, and they go up for sale with 50 rounds through them.

If the gun was touched by anyone other than Grayguns......I would be worried.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I have heard of issues with hammer follow on DA/SA P30s.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have heard of issues with hammer follow on DA/SA P30s.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Good opportunity to learn something new: i had never had reason to actually learn what "hammer follow" is before tonight, though I'd heard 1911 guys mutter darkly about it on several occasions. The phrase "full-auto 1911" was usually close behind.

Here's a great explanation, certainly the best I've found:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost...9&postcount=22

Short version: hammer fails to stay cocked during action cycling, result ranges from annoying to Very Bad.

User Tag List