Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Sr1911c

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    If I was going to buy factory 1911 that didn't say Colt or Springfield on the slide, I'd climb over a mountain of Taurus', Kimbers, and other assorted guns to get the Ruger. Hilton at 10-8 has said good things about the Ruger's general construction, and the fact that Ruger owns their own casting process really helps.
    The S&W E-series has received similarly high marks from the guys over at 10-8, and I think if I were going to go with a 1,000ish dollar 1911 that wasn't a SA or Colt , I'd probably go with the smitty just because I'd have less to worry about as far as tension is concerned. But for a 650-700 buck 1911, I think Springfield and Ruger would be close to the top of the list unless you could find someone dumb, gullible or charitable enough to give away a S70 colt for that price.

I always forget about the S&W 1911s, and I don't know why. They're great guns, their 9mm Pro Series gun is my first choice for a "bog standard 9mm 1911 that works."

Congrats Fon1961. The biggest issue with 1911's is maintenance. Replace your recoil springs regularly, keep your magazines clean and good springs in them, and the gun should function well.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    The S&W E-series has received similarly high marks from the guys over at 10-8, and I think if I were going to go with a 1,000ish dollar 1911 that wasn't a SA or Colt , I'd probably go with the smitty just because I'd have less to worry about as far as tension is concerned. But for a 650-700 buck 1911, I think Springfield and Ruger would be close to the top of the list unless you could find someone dumb, gullible or charitable enough to give away a S70 colt for that price.
    While I have a friend with a 4.25" E-Series that ejects like no other 1911 I have seen, I still don't trust the design. The little pin that holds in the extractor likes to walk around and can do damage to the frame or just jack the extractor up.

The Ruger design is just like the original which has proven to be effective on the 10 or so 1911's I have owned, even the ones that have gone more than 10K rounds.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

All,

Thanks for the feedback. You all have given me several things to think about and a desire to learn more. Got some follow up questions to some of the posts but I'm going to search for answers on my own first. Thanks again.

I had one of these for a while. After 1,500 rounds and a trip back to the factory I knew it had to go. It was terribly unreliable with anything but 230 grain ball and not completely trustworthy with even that.

As a long time 1911 shooter I was disappointed, but I have no use for an unreliable pistol.

Hope your luck is better. They sure are good looking handguns. I wish my experience had not been so negative.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Very objective, I like it. Thanks for posting the link.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Nice writeup! That guy has probably forgotten more about 1911's yesterday afternoon, than three people like me would ever learn in a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Fon1961 View Post
    Finally got to shoot it...I'm a fan...first target at 7yds with range ammo

I will be getting more 1911's if I can find them that shoot like this and in this price range. Even enjoyed learning to take it apart and cleaning it.
    Congrats and condolences

Congrats because that is a beautiful 1911! Hope you have many years of fun and reliable performance out of it.

Condolences because it can lead to many hours researching, fondling, and obsessing, over just what makes a perfect 1911, and justifying why its absolutely necessary to have said perfection in your possession.

Don't ask me how I know....

Lol, tell me about it. Purchased a book dedicated to 1911's. Was reviewing 1911 drawings last nite noting various tolerances and such. Contemplating a few assets that I might liquidate to aid in a future purchase.

On and btw, the fastest thing I'm learning about 1911's is how little I knew about them!
    Last edited by Fon1961; 04-23-2014 at 03:37 PM.

User Tag List