Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass cleaning / wet methods

Brass cleaning / wet methods

For those that clean brass using liquid cleaners such as sonic cleaners etc., how do you ensure the primer pocket gets dried completely. I recently did a small batch and found that when I went to reload, the primer pocket still had moisture. I used a heat gun and it worked but there has got to be a better way. It was suggested I place them in the oven at a low temperature and basically evaporate the moisture but I don't like that option at all. So I'm just curious what other folks use.
    Taking a break from social media.

Mine go in the oven for 30 minutes at 200 degrees. I've done many thousands this way. Or you can leave them out in the sun for a couple of hours.

I'm assuming you are depriming first...if not, you will have dampness issues.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Mine go in the oven for 30 minutes at 200 degrees. I've done many thousands this way. Or you can leave them out in the sun for a couple of hours.

I'm assuming you are depriming first...if not, you will have dampness issues.
    Do you have any concearns with contaminating the oven?

I do not deprime, if that eliminates wet cleaning, so be it. After the heat gun method the primers punched out dry. I know the bake method would evaporate the moisture, but I would need confirmation that I'm not introducing toxins into the magic cooking box. Not to mention convincing the wife..... On the other hand, the tumbling media produces its own issues. But In that case I'm the only one coming in contact with the dust.
    Taking a break from social media.

I used to wet clean. I happened to run across some test tube drying racks that worked perfectly with rifle brass. I never cooked the brass in the oven. I deprimed first and let it dry in the garage for a week, and even in the winter I never had problems with moisture.

What was the turn around time from cleaning to reloading? You can try to extend the time between functions. Also you can try putting the brass in a metal pan and placing it on top of the lid of your gas grill to heat up, that way you are not possibly contaminating the cooking area.

How do you dispose of your contaminated liquid? I refuse to poor it down the drain adding lead to the water supply. What I do is pour it in to a bucket, cover it with a screen to keep bugs out and leave it in the shed for the water to evaporate. I then clean the bucket with some rags, placing the contaminated rags in a tightly closed plastic bag for disposal in the garbage.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Wouldn't it be easier and more effective to put a heavy garbage bag into the bucket, then pour the used cleaning fluid into that to evaporate off? Less handling, and you could use the same bag many times before throwing it away with all of the contaminates caked inside.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier and more effective to put a heavy garbage bag into the bucket, then pour the used cleaning fluid into that to evaporate off? Less handling, and you could use the same bag many times before throwing it away with all of the contaminates caked inside.
    Actually you are correct, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    For those that clean brass using liquid cleaners such as sonic cleaners etc., how do you ensure the primer pocket gets dried completely. I recently did a small batch and found that when I went to reload, the primer pocket still had moisture. I used a heat gun and it worked but there has got to be a better way. It was suggested I place them in the oven at a low temperature and basically evaporate the moisture but I don't like that option at all. So I'm just curious what other folks use.
    I have a screen I dump the brass over. Then I let it sit outside. As long as it isn't raining, it's good to go the next day.

I've been using an ultra sonic cleaner now for a few months. http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ecommendations

I have found that spreading all the brass out onto a towel and running a fan on them for a few hours, and then letting the brass sit overnight, sufficiently evaporates all the water including whatever would be found in the primer pockets.

God Bless
    David

I've been looking into stainless steel media for cleaning, one very interesting thing I have seen while researching has been:

Food dehydrator. Set it up in your reloading area, mark it as brass only no food and it will dry the brass without contamination to other household areas/appliances.

Once it can get some other things squared away I'm going for a large wet ss system with a dehydrator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

User Tag List