Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Px4 D-Cougar

Beretta Px4 D-Cougar

All the recent talk about about Berettas reminded me I have an Inox Storm F type. One of the things I've always liked a lot about the Storm is that it has a really good DA trigger out of the box, but like everything it could be better. Factory pull measured around 12-13 pounds in DA and just over 5 in SA.

I forget where I saw it, but it was suggested that the D mainspring from a Cougar would work in the Storm. You have to use the Cougar springs because the Storms all use the same hammer/mainspring regardless of model type. Brownells had a bunch of Cougar D springs, so I bought five, got some help on how to remove the factory spring and then went to work.

The end result was pretty spectacular. The DA trigger pull is now under 10lbs and the SA is right at 4. The gun was 100% at cracking primers! even with the lighter mainspring installed. I had some Winchester NATO stuff that it set off no problem. So far, I'm really liking this gun, I just wish it wasn't so friggin' huge.

A buddy of mine did this a few months ago, and my PX4 9 and 40 have had this spring over a month. No failures to fire between our four pistols with a variety of ammo.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A buddy of mine did this a few months ago, and my PX4 9 and 40 have had this spring over a month. No failures to fire between our four pistols with a variety of ammo.
    Did he tell you how..."fun" it is removing the factory mainspring?

Please elaborate? I am dumb as stone mechanically, and did it. Other than cursing when I chipped the frame removing that stupid clip arrangement, and cursing Beretta, it was pretty easy.

Please elaborate? I am dumb as stone mechanically, and did it. Other than cursing when I chipped the frame removing that stupid clip arrangement, and cursing Beretta, it was pretty easy.
    Did you pull the entire trigger group or just pull it down and out of the backstrap?

Just via the blackstrap, like putting a D spring into a 92. I also changed out the mag release to a larger size.

Had the gunsmith install low profile G levers and HD sights.

Just via the blackstrap, like putting a D spring into a 92. I also changed out the mag release to a larger size.

Had the gunsmith install low profile G levers and HD sights.
    That's how I got it too - I was just surprised at how much force I had to use pulling it out (phrasing). I hit that point where part of mind is screaming "you're going to break it you're going to break it" and then it popped out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    All the recent talk about about Berettas reminded me I have an Inox Storm F type. One of the things I've always liked a lot about the Storm is that it has a really good DA trigger out of the box, but like everything it could be better. Factory pull measured around 12-13 pounds in DA and just over 5 in SA.

I forget where I saw it, but it was suggested that the D mainspring from a Cougar would work in the Storm. You have to use the Cougar springs because the Storms all use the same hammer/mainspring regardless of model type. Brownells had a bunch of Cougar D springs, so I bought five, got some help on how to remove the factory spring and then went to work.

The end result was pretty spectacular. The DA trigger pull is now under 10lbs and the SA is right at 4. The gun was 100% at cracking primers! even with the lighter mainspring installed. I had some Winchester NATO stuff that it set off no problem. So far, I'm really liking this gun, I just wish it wasn't so friggin' huge.
    Caleb,

Thanks for the recent articles on the Storm.

I really like this platform as well. I typically carry a 92, however I find the storm to mimic the 92 ergonomics close enough that when I do not feel like carrying a 2 lb gun the storm works well.

Took both of my Storms to the range today. After my adventures installing the rear sight on my Inox Storm, I wanted to zero it with my match ammo. Wonder of wonders, I took it out to 25 yards and it was dead nuts at 25 yards. Then dead nuts again at 50 yards. So that was pretty cool.

Name:  IMG_20140506_143504.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  34.0 KB

That's 25 and 50 right there.

The other Storm I kept the stock sights on, but I'll probably be changing them shortly. Interestingly, despite the fact that the guns are exactly the same, installing the Cougar D-spring in the other Storm didn't produce nearly as nice a trigger pull as it did in the Inox gun. I have no idea why this would happen, but it did. I should probably at some point detail strip both guns.

Site Supporter
    I saw your video about cutting up a MGW sight pusher. What exactly happened?

User Tag List