Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobo Hardware..aka FN Striker Stuff

Hobo Hardware..aka FN Striker Stuff

First some pictures:

So some thoughts on the gun. Slide-barrel assembly is first rate, minus the fit of the striker. And actually, only one area of the striker is problematic for trigger pull, as was shown in a previous thread. But that’s another thread.
    I was asked to see what could be done with the frame part of the gun to improve the trigger pulls consistency and quality. So a detail strip ensued, pictures above.
    The first issue noted was the loose (very loose) fit between the rear frame block. I’m assuming this was by design, as the block has built in locating pins to aid in alignment between them. These locating pins are MIMed into the block, so aside from drilling new pin holes (which I’m doing on another gun) we are stuck with that. This definitely accounts for some of the inconsistency in trigger pull (when combined with the original striker fit, you get a herd of cats in terms of trigger pull). Overall, the design of the gun has some advantages in terms of refinement potential over its contemporaries. The pins associated with the sear are first rate, being ground smooth. Otherwise, the gun is very Glockish in execution.
    Additional pictures and comments to follow.

Looking forward to more information.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Waiting patiently Bill! Thanks again for your knowledege.

So, in my opinion, there are two big flaws in this gun:

1. The striker, as it comes from the factory, has damn near a 20 arc of rotation when installed. This was 50% or so of the inconsistency of the trigger pull. I have no idea why this was done, considering JJ's striker now has 0.002" clearance in the channel.
    2. The rear frame block has grossly undersized locating pins. This is another 50% of the inconsistent trigger pull. This puts most of the constraints on the sear assembly, which does you no favors in trigger pull. Additionally, the rear block rails are significantly smaller than the middle block, making the middle block carry the slide. This results in a couple things, not the least of which is that the slide moves significantly when the trigger breaks. The remedy for this is pretty straight forward, and I'll post up pictures as I go. This entails pinning the two blocks together. The rear block was made 2 piece to allow the striker assembly to be inserted.

That's it. That's the two big warts on the gun. Otherwise, it's a really, really accurate 9, and apparently quite reliable (once the mag catch is fixed ).

If I were hunting for a plastic gun, and I'm not, I'd give it some real consideration considering the warts on everything else.

Just my $0.02

Any idea when that one was made?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Im guessing 2014? Its a long slide 9mm so it should be pretty recent.

Interested in seeing the remedy completed! Mine is my favorite striker gun and if there is a possibility to make it better I'm game!

Ok, so a bit over 650 rounds today. I really like this gun. A lot.

If I had to carry plastic, I'd pick this one in a heart beat. Maybe The Tactical Hobo will come in.

Now I have to re learn how to use a 1911....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Now I have to re learn how to use a 1911....

You don't really need to. I mean that's like going back to crank starting cars.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List