Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a cheap pistol sight install tool that works

Found a cheap pistol sight install tool that works

I bought a sight install tool from http://www.sightpusher.com/ to install a set of night sights on one of my Kahr PM9's.
    While it's not as slick as a MGW sight pusher (of which I own 4) it does a pretty dang good job of removing and installing sights on pistols that MGW doesn't make pushers for and is way cheaper than the "real" universal tools.
    So far I've used it to remove and install night sights on a Kahr PM9 (which are notoriously hard to do) and used it to install a rear sight on my Walther PPS.
    While it does take some fiddling to set up and requires a small bench vice and 3/4" wrench the thing does a pretty slick job of removing and installing sights once you get it set up.
    The real difference between this and a MGW is you need a little more mechanical aptitude to get this one set up perfectly.
    I'm going to buy some 1/2"x1" aluminum bar stock or 1/2"x1" nylon blocks and make me some custom spacers and clamping blocks for the pistols I don't have a MGW for to make set up go faster and it should be perfect for home use.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I almost bought that tool when I was looking for one. But after contacting them I found out that I'd probably wind up buying 3 or more when it was all said and done due to the different firearms I plan on obtaining. For that money it worked out better for me to get the P500 PRO tool from Brownell's. YMMV of course.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

No need to buy separate tools for each gun.
    You can buy all three clamp inserts for $20 (or $8 per individual set).
    Max price for every option they have is still under $100.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Hey this is the one I when I was too cheap to pay for the premium ones. I'd forgotten where I'd gotten it from. It works great! Just a little cludgy but for the amount I use it; just fine.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I picked that model up many months ago. It does not work well with angled HK slides. Some wood blocks cut to match the angle helped. However, I still needed to clamp the slide from the top to prevent it from shifting in the tool. I can see how it would work well on slab sides. I have learned a bit about fitting sights because of that pusher.
    Taking a break from social media.

That's why I'm buying some hard nylon and/or aluminum blocks, so I can make my own spacers and clamping surfaces.
    It's no replacement for a brand specific MGW, but then again it's also $100+ cheaper and somewhat universal.

I have one as well. It works great on a number of guns. As mentioned, it does not work well on angles slides like the HK P30 or Walther PPQ. I hadn't considered shaping hard nylon blocks for those slides, that's genius Jody. It definitely does not work on the front sight of an M&P because of the slide's taper. It would be challenging to shape a pair of blocks for that.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Double.

I have one as well and I've been very pleased with it. Bought it used with a Glock front sight tool on the cheap. It has more than paid for itself.

Thanks, Jody....I'm in the market for just this thing.

User Tag List