Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie:Have Striker Fire Now, But thinking of SA/DA for Next Firearm

Newbie:Have Striker Fire Now, But thinking of SA/DA for Next Firearm

Senior Citizen retired. Little over a year ago shot a gun for the first time. Now I have TX CHL and carry a Ruger SR40C. I am getting the urge for a second handgun and i would like to have a mid sized firearm. I am leaning towards what FNH-USA has to offer an FNS-40 or an FNX-40. I think with some practice i might like the SA/DA model.

When you transition from striker to hammer and back does it throw you off alot?

They are very different feeling mechanisms, and the DA/SA transition is a unique skill. How much it throws you off will depend on you.

Kennydale,

Depending on your budget, it might be worth taking a look at the SIG PRO series in 9x19. They're excellent pistols for the money, and the out of the box DA pull is very nice on my two examples. They can be found for sale in the $400 range, and sometimes cheaper with online sales.

Another nice DA/SA option would be to consider CZ's P-07/ 09 series. These can be had in the $500 range and are very nice shooting pistols.

Both options are should scratch the DA/SA itch, and help to make the transition to DA easier, assuming one is willing to put in the work.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 04-18-2014 at 01:27 PM.

There are also .40 SIG P226's police trade ins available from several vendors for less than $500, if that's your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Depending on your budget, it might be worth taking a look at the SIG PRO series in 9x19. They're excellent pistols for the money, and the out of the box DA pull is very nice on my two examples. They can be found for sale in the $400 range, and sometimes cheaper with online sales.
    Palmetto State Armory has the two-tone SP2022 with night sights on sale for $389 for Easter...I don't need another pistol, I don't need another pistol, I don't need another pistol...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Attachment 2270
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Palmetto State Armory has the two-tone SP2022 with night sights on sale for $389 for Easter...I don't need another pistol, I don't need another pistol, I don't need another pistol...
    Na...... You don't need it....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Senior Citizen retired. Little over a year ago shot a gun for the first time. Now I have TX CHL and carry a Ruger SR40C. I am getting the urge for a second handgun and i would like to have a mid sized firearm. I am leaning towards what FNH-USA has to offer an FNS-40 or an FNX-40. I think with some practice i might like the SA/DA model.

When you transition from striker to hammer and back does it throw you off alot?
    It isn't an impossible transition. I don't find that it throws me off much if at all. However I shoot DA/SA more accurately and more consistently.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Personally I don't get thrown by different pulls; I do get thrown by different resets. I can run an SRT 226 almost as well as a Glock or 1911; I short-stroke my wife's old west german 226 when moving fast though.

Others may feel differently but for me at my skill level and with my all-1911+Glock background, I would prefer not to run a gun with a long or weak reset.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Right now I am carrying a Ruger SR40C. To me the best part is it's trigger and reset. (Still need to work on it because i am still pulling low to left too many times) , I too have taken notice of the Sig SP2022 prices. The problem is always WANTS Vs NEEDS or SO MANY FIREARMS, So little money. Many Thanks for the input.

Just a side note. A friend of mine has a very nice used P224 in .40S&W he had it worked on by a Sig Armorer. I have handled it it feels somewhat bulky (But that's how Glock's feel to me). As far as my friend is concerned, it's a SAFE QUEEN. ( I think he showed it to me to whet my appetite, I might approach him about maybe selling it)
    Last edited by Kennydale; 04-18-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Right now I am carrying a Ruger SR40C. To me the best part is it's trigger and reset. (Still need to work on it because i am still pulling low to left too many times)
    That sounds more like a software (user) issue more than necessarily an issue dealing with the type of action to me but I'm not a subject matter expert, or an expert at all really. So take my comments with a pound of salt.

I too have taken notice of the Sig SP2022 prices. The problem is always WANTS Vs NEEDS or SO MANY FIREARMS, So little money. Many Thanks for the input.
    I would generally say use the money for training, practice and ammo over changing platforms. The Sigpro 2022 has a very smooth double action pull, especially being a stock trigger at a low price if you determine that that is the path you should take.

Just a side note. A friend of mine has a very nice used P224 in .40S&W he had it worked on by a Sig Armorer. I have handled it it feels somewhat bulky (But that's how Glock's feel to me). As far as my friend is concerned, it's a SAFE QUEEN. ( I think he showed it to me to whet my appetite, I might approach him about maybe selling it)
    Based solely on comments I've read here very recently I would be leery of the P224 but would definitely defer to the Sig guys here at PF.com on that subject.

User Tag List