Thread: Palmetto State Armory BCG

Palmetto State Armory BCG

Some concerns were raised about my purchase of a PSA BCG in this post. I figured I'd add this information for any questions/concerns. To be clear, this is in regards to the PSA Premium BCG with no logo, not their bottom-of-the-bucket PTAC line which makes no claim to being HPT/MPI.

The BCGs arrived covered in a very thick preservative. Here's a picture of them after cleaning them off....clearly marked HPT/MPI bolts. The gas key appears to be decently staked. The bolts came with black o-rings installed.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    TGS,

I'll still stand on my stated position. Just about all the AR makers still stamp barrels "5.56 NATO"...and yet many still ship guns with commercial chambers, so whatever markings a buyer seeks are easy to apply. Proper QC/QA/TDP compliance steps are not easy or inexpensive to do and therefore my statement that having the assurance of true Mil-spec quality does not match the price point. When you consider that as many as 25-30% of bolts fail three axis MPI testing, it doesn't give one a warm and fuzzy over batch processed components. If you're building a hobby gun, I guess they're ok. If it's a true service gun it's not.

Have fun with those and watch the bolts commencing about 3500 rounds and later. You will see if you drew a winning ticket then.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-18-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Palmetto State Armory BCG

I purchased one of their HP/MP bolts last year to have around. Other than going by what the manufacture states, not much else you can do. PSA does not make their own bolts, neither does BCM or many of the premium manufacturers out there. Only a few sources for HP/MP Carpenter steel bolts out there. My guess is that many of these companies source from the same vendors. I guess you have to put a certain degree of faith in your vendors when buying?

Have there been a large degree of bolt failures reported using PSA premium bolts?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Are there any visible marks left on a bolt after the HPT and MPI are competed like there are when a Rockwell hardness test is done?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Are there any visible marks left on a bolt after the HPT and MPI are competed like there are when a Rockwell hardness test is done?
    Honestly, I'm not sure where to look but I can't find anything on either the PSA or BCM bolts I have.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    On a Colt bolt, the letters "MPC" are on the bolt just behind the lugs. Not sure on the others.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List