View Poll Results: Have you used a gun in civilian self defense?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never needed to.

5 45.45%
  • No, because I didn't have a gun on me.

0 0%
  • Yes, and the guy ran away.

5 45.45%
  • Yes, and I had to shoot.

1 9.09%

Thread: Have you ever used a gun in civilian (or off duty) self defense (Poll)?

Have you ever used a gun in civilian (or off duty) self defense (Poll)?

This is a follow-up to the active thread in the tactics section. I tossed it in romper room because it will obviously be non-scientific.

I've read Givens' numbers for his students. I'm curious what kind of percentages we have on this forum, composed of people who are much more likely to carry than your average gun owner.

I didn't see something like this in search. Feel free to delete if it's a duplicate.

Site Supporter
    Does "used" mean "Fired" or "Drawn/Presented"?
    If the latter, you're missing a poll option... "Yes, and I held the perp for police"

"guy"?...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Yeah, I was trying to make it short/simple. Essentially I mean "I drew/showed my gun and the threat resolved the situation."

I also understand this is a messy/emotional topic for some people, so I'm just looking for numbers. I've seen a couple discussions from the people who *have* had to use force. The internet is full of those. I was just really curious to see what the picture looked like when you included all of the null answers as well. How many people were robbed when they weren't carrying? How many have just never, ever been the victim of a violent crime?

Personally I've never been in a situation where a gun would have changed anything. Likely because I live in a small town and live a boring life that stays away from stupid places, people, and things. I still carry because that isn't a perfect guarantee. But it seems like the data might be interesting to look at, even with the usual disclaimers about internet polls.

User Tag List