Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The monster next door!

Nothing to say..

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    This Jerry Pournelle essay from the early-'80s, used as the forward to the paperback edition of Drake's Hammer's Slammers, seems apropos.

A nation which despises its soldiers will all too soon have a despicable army.

The depressing fact is that history is remarkably clear on one point: wealthy republics do not last long. Time after time they have risen to wealth and freedom; the citizens become wealthy and sophisticated; unwilling to volunteer to protect themselves, they go to conscription; this too becomes intolerable; and soon enough they turn to mercenaries.
    Last edited by Tamara; 04-17-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The issue is the same as it is everywhere else in our society: the self-professed elites of our society who insist that they are the most compassionate, free thinking, intelligent, and generally good of all the sneeches are really a bunch of bigots who hold a thinly veiled contempt for anybody who isn't them.
    Wow! That's gold right there. It really does boil down to the root of most of the other issues IMHO. Especially the last 10 words.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Perhaps the solution is to reexamine the concept of national service.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Indeed. I regret nothing about meeting & serving with the men I do, but I most definitely regret seeing the ends to which our "service" has been used.

User Tag List