Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best option for K-frame custom work?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Best option for K-frame custom work?

Hello -

I am looking into sending my Model 19 away for some TLC. Specifically, I am looking for the following:

Action Job (Duty oriented, i.e. not just for federal primers)
    Chamfer Cylinders
    Re-Blue
    Replace rear & front sights with something a bit more durable and useable
    Check timing, cylinder lockup, forcing cone etc etc...

So far the people I am looking at are Cylinder & Slide and the Bowen custom house. Anyone else I should include? I don't mind something of a wait but I'd like to be able to get the gun back in my hands within a reasonable timeframe... So far C&S are looking good, but I don't know much about the quality of their revo work or their customer service. I am also having a hard time decoding exactly which sight package I would want to purchase from C&S - any help in this regard?

Thanks all

I've gotten burned by local gunsmith favorable word of mouth so I too would only go premium for such things. I'm presently trying to get a shipping label/Return Auth # from S&W for much less interesting simple maintenance on an older Model 18 that's been DA shot out of time and its taking me weeks to do so.

Several folks I trust say Karl Sokol up in NH is top notch also. Good luck.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I am a big fan of Bowen Custom Guns, but they are not cheap. They are insanely good at what they do. I am getting ready to send them a couple of sick revolvers.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I have no first hand experience, but have heard good things about him on M4C:
    http://www.superiorfirearmsllc.com/

He's not all that far from me and I'm of the mind to send him my Model 64 and $300.

I've had good luck with Nelson Ford in Phoenix. He's done J-frames for me and a few friends, and did an outstanding DAO conversion on a friend's M10HB a few years back.

Site Supporter
    It's great if you find a local smith who you can trust to do most of that sort of work. I am fortunate to have a local guy that I really trust with my revolvers -- but only after taking some small jobs to him first so he could prove himself. He's a guy who truly understands 1911s and S&W revolvers. If you're not in the position to do that, I think the C&S and Bowen options are solid.

As for the sights -- I have had both the C&S fixed rear sight and the Bowen Rough Country sights installed on my guns and overall I prefer the Bowen sight. It is very well made and sturdy, plus it is adjustable and offered in three blade heights to work with just about any front sight. They are both quality parts though.

I find this thread timely. The bottom line is that we're losing the art of tuning revolvers as wheelies fall from favor as general EDC guns. I've owned one C&S-tuned snubby Model 10 that, while a thing of absolute beauty (with perfectly dovetailed sights) had the geometry so reworked that it *couldn't* be resprung heavily enough to light primers reliably without a resultantly monsterous trigger pull. No thanks. I also tried for several years to get on one name 'smith's wait list, only to get on 4 years ago, and I'm still waiting.

If the S&W performance center could do sights, I'd just send my 65-3 to them, but I'd prefer to mail the wheelie only once and get it all done. I'll be interested to see more names crop up in this thread. For example, I'm pretty sure that Tam has a line on one old-school smith that she uses. Speaking of which, someone here must have experience working with Gemini aside from the weigand porting packages...

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I am a big fan of Bowen Custom Guns, but they are not cheap. They are insanely good at what they do. I am getting ready to send them a couple of sick revolvers.
    I'm interested in Bowen but from reading their website I can't tell if they actually offer a revolver package that will be suitable for my gun. It says online that the package I would be interested in is only for "late-model S&W revolvers with the round-tang rear sights." However, they also list a sight model on their parts catalog that seems to be able to be adapted for the square-tang rear sights (which I assume would include my late 70's manf. Model 19-3). Am I reading that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I've owned one C&S-tuned snubby Model 10 that, while a thing of absolute beauty (with perfectly dovetailed sights) had the geometry so reworked that it *couldn't* be resprung heavily enough to light primers reliably without a resultantly monsterous trigger pull.
    Really? Wow. Did you send it off to them for work, or did you buy it second-hand?

Site Supporter
    QUOTE=Sidheshooter;216304] I'll be interested to see more names crop up in this thread. For example, I'm pretty sure that Tam has a line on one old-school smith that she uses. [/QUOTE]

I think you are referring to Dennis Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch http://sandburrgunranch.com/gunsmithy.php

User Tag List