Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Camo on your fighting rifles

I thought mine would be mostly green and brown but the more I looked around I saw a lot more tan. I guess I never realized how light Prarie grass is or how much tan there is in the mountains.

Thanks for the links.

Pretty much how I did mine. Not fancy, not really pretty, just not shiny black.

I hit my recce with Krylon and employed a mesh laundry bag to break up the profile. Nothing fancy, but only took a few mins and only cost a few bucks. YMMV.

I used the krylon camo series on mine. I started with a tan base coat and then cut/tore random holes in a sheet of newspaper to try to replicate cammie netting. After draping it across the rifle and hitting it with random strokes of OD green and brown, I pulled the paper off only to find krylon's idea of camo brown was too poopish. I misted over the uncovered rifle with OD to try to tone down the brown and tie the whole pattern together but the brown still sucked to I redid it with just OD over tan.

You can still see some brown but I changed some parts and need to redo it eventually anyway.

Krylon, or Aervoe.........or combo of them? Don't remember.

It can be as simple of elaborate as you choose, and are patient enough for.

I have moved into DuraCoat and airbrushing as another hobby associated with guns, but don't take it too seriously. Still, I have learned a bit over the years, and at the end of the day, what you want out of it will determine what you put into it. My serious guns get serious attention from professionals. My toys get home DuraCoat. My practice projects get a lot of rattle can, then some DuraCoat (maybe)......

That looks great Sean, I just did a base of khaki krylon and streaks of of green. I left my pistol grip brown and my wood lower hand guard wood, not the prettiest but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    My serious guns get serious attention from professionals. My toys get home DuraCoat. My practice projects get a lot of rattle can, then some DuraCoat (maybe)......
    That makes sense but quick clarification - does some rattle can treatment render a serious gun less serious? In other words, I don't care enough about camo to pony up for professional attention...but I don't have enough fighting rifles to relegate any of then to "toy" status. Any reason not to krylon, eg, my one and only ar?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Rattle can treatment versus professional grade application of the epoxy-based "serious" finishes to me means ability withstand, and sustain it's qualities under what I would describe as "serious" conditions.......

Not every gun I own (or even close) has "serious" paint applied. I don't define "serious" as in the nature of a gun's task and conditions........but in the nature of the task and conditions to which it may find itself applied. Only 3 guns have pro paint jobs on them..........1 carbine, 1 pistol, 1 AT&T rifle........

Honestly? Rattle can is still good for me, for 99% of my uses, and 99% of my guns that would even get paint at all. But you see.......I got this airbrush thingy, and a compressor, and there are only so many bike tires and footballs that need the compressor.............and well, ummmmm......so the thing is............yeah. Rattle can is fine.

And it doesn't have to be pretty unless YOU want it to be pretty. When push comes to shove, if it's stupid, but it works.........it ain't stupid!

The above rattle can pic was simply to show what can be done with rattle can, at home, and yuuup..........you can do it. I just wanted to see if I could pull it off. And I did. Once. Next three tries were epic failures.

And as some have already stated, the pro's.........the real pro's........tell you prep is everything. I have not found anything to be contrary to their belief's in my own humble foray into painting guns. However, again.......what do YOU want out of it? I've had(have) some ugly ass paint jobs on guns. Ugly all day. (See above epic failures). And they still look "ugly". But I also don't care. They met my goal of having paint on them. Other guns I wanted functional, in more ways than just paint, requiring expertise, skill, and attributes I don't possess. Prep. Proper tools. Climate controlled conditions. PATIENCE! Paint/epoxy that would last, corrosion resistant, etc.

I currently have a botched paint job going to a pro, for pro application of a pro finish. Why? Cause I kittened it up, and while I didn't "like" the color scheme before.........I hate it now because it looks like a bag of smashed buttholes epoxied themselves to my full custom, built from the ground up, and spent way too much money pistol..............that I buggered up in one late night "good idea fairy" session. I'm not leaving a legacy heirloom gun to my midget looking like that........especially since I made it that way!!!
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 05-14-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Honestly? Rattle can is still good for me, for 99% of my uses, and 99% of my guns that would even get paint at all. But you see.......I got this airbrush thingy, and a compressor, and there are only so many bike tires and footballs that need the compressor.............and well, ummmmm......so the thing is............yeah. Rattle can is fine.
    That's a really good excuse to buy more long guns.

No more room in the safe. And I will not buy another safe for this house. Assuming I live long enough to move to a new home in the next 4-5 years, we are doing a walk in vault, simply because a safe that will hold all that is stashed not in the safe + what is in the safe would hide 90% of what I own.

More interested in taking a finished basement family room and turning it into a walk in party palace of guns, bullets, reloading benches, flat screen TV's, Wifi, Bluetooth, couches, comfy chairs, and guns where I can see them, appreciate them, and likely even shoot from inside said gun party palace vault.

That's just me.

User Tag List